General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Accord / Randomly Dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Question 1990 Accord / Randomly Dies

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me out. I have a 1990 Honda Accord EX-R, (4Door / Auto / 700000 km’s). For the last few months the car just randomly shuts down. Each time it happens it’s something different. First time I was pushing it and got the rpm’s to 5000 and it just shut down and took till the next day till it would start again. Next time it was cold waiting at the lights went to go got to 2000 and shut down. Took 15 minutes to start, Few weeks go by and happens again, warm day and 5 minutes to start. Now it happens once or twice a week. Don’t matter if it’s hot or cold out, going slow or fast. Check engine light comes on and the engine dies. As long as I let the car sit for a min of 15 minutes and it starts back up like nothing happens. Seeing I need to get two more years out of this car I would like to figure this out.

HOW IT DIES:
The RPM's drop (at random) and the engine stops dead. Sometimes if you notice it dropping, you can give it gas and "resurrect the idle" - which seems to be fine for awhile after.

AFTER IT DIES:
After the car dies (at random), it will turn over with a healthy crank, but not start unless you let it sit for 15 minutes or so.

AFTER IT RE-STARTS:
No check engine lights are flagged, and the car runs fine for an indefinite amount of time (sometimes days).

Has anyone experienced this? Dealership says they can't find out what's going on and don’t want to spend more money than I have to...

Any help would be great.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your problems are not unusual. When no-start occurs, listen carefully when you turn keyswitch to On. You should hear some muffled clicks from under the dash, low buzz from fuel pump in fuel tank should run 2-3 secs and cut off, Check Engine Light should go off w/ fuel pump. If you don't hear these, the problem if fuel delivery, likely bad Main Fuel Relay or less likely a faulty fuel pump.

If all above check OK, the problem is likely ignition; coil or ignitor.

Post your observations for further help.

good luck

Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

does chk engine lite come on and car dies ?? or car dies first ?? what is the code ??
when car does not start, diagnose if it is lack of spark or lack of fuel

Almost sounds like an ignitor issue