General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Default 1990 Honda Accord

Hi, two wks ago I was driving my Honda when all of a sudden it lost power bogged down like it was going to stall, I hit the gas and it took right back off for about 1/4 mi. it then did the same thing again, I hit the gas again it took back off...same thing...the it bogged down, pulled into a Dollar General..it was like minus 0 that night. It sat for about 15 min. started back up..then did the same thing...this time it would not start. Had it towed home, when taken off the wrecker it started put it in the garage it has not started since. I have a full charge in the batter it turns over but will not start. Some one said it was the Relay Switch under the dash board...Any advice here I would so appreciate it..Thank You...Desperate here for a fix Joanne

Old 01-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Turn keyswitch to On and listen carefully w/ everthing off. You should hear a buzz in fuel tank for 2-3 secs and stop. This is fuel pump. Repeat several times Off then switch to On listening to confirm.

If you don't hear any sound, then main fuel relay (MFR) or fuel pump has failed. MFR is most frequent culprit.

If you do hear the fuel pump buzz each time, then fuel delivery is likely OK and problem relates to lack of spark; coil, ignitor, rotor, cap, or possibly a failed ignition switch not providing power to distributor.

good luck

Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 AM

Thank You Texas. The fuel pump is good we checked that. The other day my Son stopped he looked under the hood and I might add he is an awesome mechanic. I made sure there was a full charge in the battery when he stopped, first he fixed my windshield
wiper fluid line that was broke...then we checked the fuel pump like you said, it was fine. so he said well try it Mom, it turned right over and has run fine since, we are stumped..I have driven it since Thurs. and have had not a problem..but it's in the paranoid back of my mind that we don't know what made it stop in the first place..but for now it's running great ♥

Old 01-26-2015, 11:26 AM

Not a mech but Could it possibly be the fuel filter I've had experiences of bogging or stalling from a clogged fuel filter just a suggestion

Old 01-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Very cold with a little bit of moisture in the gasoline??? Pour a bottle of fuel dryer into the tank when you fill up.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are several intermittent problems, both fuel and ignition, that can occur.

If no start returns perform fuel pump check described in my first post to see if main fuel relay or fuel pump is the problem.

good luck