General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Honda Accord-DIY blower motor HELP

Old 03-07-2007, 05:59 PM
codybergendahl
Unregistered
Default 1990 Honda Accord-DIY blower motor HELP

Hello, I recently bought a 1990 Honda Accord with a bad blower motor. If anyone has any step by step insturctions to tackle this problem that would be great. I just ordered a new blower motor from autozone and am going to install this weekend. Any tips would be great. Thanks

Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Default RE: 1990 Honda Accord-DIY blower motor HELP

Here's a few options for you.... this is a post about someone who just did it (I'm sure if you make a post and PM him with a link to it he'd respond)

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_45686/tm.htm

Here's a link to get a free manual online

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

How's that for step by step? a link to someone who just personally did it and a free manual?

Old 03-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Pete
Unregistered

I started this job a while ago, stopped "temporarily," and recently went ahead with it again.

Amid my rambling at http://web.mit.edu/petern/www/diy/blower/ are some pics that should help illustrate the way through the tough part.

Best of luck. It's a frustrating job space-wise, but not terribly difficult.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

there is another way to do it ,, but to do so you need to evacuate and recharge the a/c system .remove the 2 lines from under the hood for the evap, remove the glove box, remove the bolts holding the evap, remove the a/c evap and than the blower bolts and the 3 connectors on the right side ,,I have found this to be the quickest way for me to do it,, but we have an a/c machine at the shop so we can evacuate and recharge the system ..
there is too much stuff to remove to do it the other way

Old 03-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Pete
Unregistered

Yeah, it seemed like it'd all have been easier if the evaporator was out of the way.

The top/rear bracket that screws onto the blower, that seals the gap with the evaporator, makes it tough to get the blower in. However, if you put the blower back with it loose, it's difficult to position properly to fasten it down once the blower's in there.

Removing the evaporator would have simplified this, but I'm just a guy with some tools, and no access to collect/recharge equipment. (Chilton's, I noticed, has a big "we're not going to help you mess with the A/C" notice where the instructions would otherwise be.) So I struggled with it a bit, using a long screwdriver to straighten the bracket out so I could screw it down again (sitting astronaut-style upside-down, of course).

I am very glad to be done with this mess.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Pete: thank you for taking the time to share this "expirience" with others. I will be attacking this monster is about 2 weeks. If you have any more tips, please let me know.