General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Honda accord ex acceleration issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Default 1991 Honda accord ex acceleration issue

Iv'e had the car for about a month and has been running fine. Just recently had the starter replaced and starts beautifully. Just before that issue I would notice that when I start the car up after it' warmed up it would bogg as I accelerate to 20kph max and the peddle would not depress and can here it struggling like the muffler was blocked or something. When i ease off the gas gor a few moments the car runs fine. The issue only happens9 after a warm start. Cold start it starts up fine and no cel at all yet. I think I can also smell a rich gas smell sometimes if that helps

Old 06-09-2018, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

So the gas pedal won't move when this happens? Does it feel like it is stuck when trying to accelerate?

Old 06-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Default Pahonda

Yeah I can't depress it all the way the more I press the more it sputters but only with warm start ups and it only lasts a few moments.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

You will have to do some more investigation. Check for engine and transmission codes just to be thorough. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a thread on reading CEL codes.

The gas pedal is hooked directly to the throttle body via the throttle cable.

I'd remove the air intake snorkel to the throttle body. Check the movement of the throttle plate (car not running) with an assistant pushing on the gas pedal. Also try turning the spool where the throttle cable connects to the throttle plate to feel for a spot that is sticking.

Use some throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush to clean both sides of the throttle plate and the throttle body bore. Sometimes a ridge of carbon builds up on the bore that can impede the throttle plate from moving. Also clean where the metal bar going through the throttle plate goes through the throttle body bore. After cleaning, do the same test to see if the throttle plate turns smoother.

I remember reading a thread a long time ago where someone had a crack in the metal bracket that supports the gas pedal inside the car. It was near one of the bolts. Do a thorough inspection of the gas pedal inside the car.

The issue could be with the throttle cable binding in the sleeve. Some white lithium grease where the wire is exposed will not hurt. If your car is an automatic, then there is a cable that goes from the throttle body to the transmission that could bind up.

Both of these cables can also be adjusted to take up excessive slack. Watch this video on how to adjust.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:21 PM

Cleaned the throttle body everything looked fine. No codes came up. It's like the more I press there more pressure stopping the peddle going down and the more the exhaust makes a muffled bubbling sound and only happens on warm start ups

Old 06-11-2018, 07:56 PM

So it's a backfiring and bogging what could that mean?