General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1991 Honda Accord LX "s" light issue.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Default 1991 Honda Accord LX "s" light issue.

I have a 91 Accord LX, 2.2 L 4 cyl, AT

I have been having problems off/on with the sport "S" transmission light coming on and causing a problem with sluggishness and not shifting into the last gear at highway speeds. On takeoff from a dead stop, it's like starting in 3rd gear.

I have been told that it was a problem with my TCU. I pulled it out several months ago, and all contacts, relays, capactiors..etc., looked to be ok. After reinstalling it, i was able to go several months with no re-occurence of the problem. It recently started up again, and is pretty much on 100% of the time now. I removed the TCU again and everything still looks ok.

I have a cousin with an accord that he wrecked. I took his TCU out over the weekend and installed it in my car. My original TCU was an "OKI" and this one is a different mfg.."Denshigiken"....the part numbers were almost the same. I didn't notice when i removed it from his car whether he had the sport transmission option.

Now that the new TCU is in my car, it has eliminated the problem.....except that when the car is in D4, the "s" light is constantly lit.....but it shifts perfectly.

I did see an older post in this forum about the VSS being a possible cause to this issue, so i will attempt to check that as well.
My question is this: can i cause damage to my transmission by having that different TCU installed, that must not be an exact match? Or is it ok to have that installed? I do lose the ability to engage the sport transmission, so i am assuming that his model did not have that option installed.

Any suggestions/assistance would be very much appreciated

Old 05-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Default RE: 1991 Honda Accord LX "s" light issue.

Anyone got anything to offer on this problem?

Old 05-30-2006, 07:25 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Based on what you've said I would assume exactly what you did... that the part you replaced it with is the non-sport option. That being said it will probably work fine but your car may not shift the exact same and things like that... I personally would look for a replacement part ASAP but run that one until you find it...

Old 05-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

this is a silly question but you don't have the S button on the shifter pushed in by any chance do you ??

Also, it could be that the TCM you installed does not match properly.
I would see if you could find the exact part for your car , install it and see if S lite still stays on

Old 05-30-2006, 07:42 PM

Silly question indeed! LOL

No i don't have the button engaged.!

And with this different TCU, D4 is the only gear that the light is on.

So, i will not do any damage to the transmission by running this incorrect TCU? Is that the general consensus?

Old 05-30-2006, 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: bgs_daddy

Silly question indeed! LOL

No i don't have the button engaged.!

And with this different TCU, D4 is the only gear that the light is on.

So, i will not do any damage to the transmission by running this incorrect TCU? Is that the general consensus?

personally i could not say 100% thst, it is the case,,,,to be honest when i have had to replace ECM or TCM i have always used the same that it calls for

Old 05-30-2006, 08:05 PM

ok, suspicion confirmed.......

the vehicle i took it out of does not have the sport transmission....[:-]

now, since changing the TCU did solve the problem regarding the shifting, can i assume that as long
as i find a matching module that my problem will be completely solved?

Or should i pursue the other things, such as the VSS?

Old 05-30-2006, 08:14 PM

you almost certainly have a vss problem. your original tcu is probably fine. i think desert can tell you how to test the vss

Old 05-30-2006, 08:15 PM

also if your having erratic speedo operation this would help to confirm that.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:16 PM

i did find a link on another topic, that shows the location of the VSS on this vehicle.

I will attempt to check that out. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 Honda Accord LX "s" light issue.