General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Honda Accord LX "s" light issue.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Default RE: 1991 Honda Accord LX "s" light issue.

ORIGINAL: deserthonda
also,, on your first post you wrote that the ( car shifts perfectly ),, but now you are saying it wont get out of third ???
Ok, let me try to clear that up.

With the original TCM in the car. It will start off from a standstill as if it's in 3rd gear and will not shift into the last gear even at 60+ MPH. And the "S" lite is solid green at all times with this original TCM installed.

However, when i put my cousin's TCM into the car (which is from a 92 Accord, with no sport transmission), the "S" lite only comes on when the car is in D4.....but even though it is lit, it seems to shift just fine, i have all gears, and no sluggish take-off.

I did attempt to get the codes with both TCM's and got the same result as i posted earlier.

I hope that this clears up the confusion.

I will attempt to locate the proper TCM for the car and see if that fixes me up.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Ok.. thanks for clearing it up............
try something.........disconnect the S switch.. should be located inside the center console, . clear the computer and test drive the car see if the S lite will come on again,,
since the TCM you instaled did not have that, by disconnecting the s switch it all might be ok..you are just eliminating that from the system..
in case there should be any tranny issue the s lite should still come on..

Old 06-01-2006, 07:24 PM

Ok Deserthonda.

I located the "s" switch plug underneath the gear shift console. I unplugged it and took out the ECU fuse under the
hood. Also, as a test, i connected my original (correct) TCM.

I started up the car, and drove it around the block.

NO "S" LITE. Shifted just as it should.

Is there a short somewhere?

Seems like I/We are on the right track to the solution.

Thanks again. Look forward to your next piece of advice.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:52 PM

well, scratch my last post.

My wife just took the car into town and the dang light is on again. Switch plug is still disconnected.......

[:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Exclamation My crappy car

Okay so, my car has experienced many of the same symptoms. I replaced both the TCU (3 times) and the VSS. The last TCU I installed was a rebuilt, not a junkyard replacement. I checked the top shift solenoid (couldn't access the bottom one) it was clean, nothing brown in or around it like some have reported. Its been running fine for about 3 months now, then all of a sudden the other day out of nowhere the S light comes on again. It doesn't flash, it stays lit. I'll have 1st and 3rd. And it's not consistent. It took a break for about 3 days then started acting up again. I'm just at a loss of ideas.

I bought this car cheap thinking I would save myself a car payment but I've been pouring money into it just to keep it running. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise it's gonna become the most expensive target I've ever shot at.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

See the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum. There is a link on checking engine codes. Let us know what codes you get from both the check engine light and the s light flashes.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

After checking the codes and IF it turns out to be the TCU again, check the connectors of the shift soleniods. I've seen where corrosion on these connections will cause enough resistance to "short" the TCU.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 AM

That's just the thing, my S light never stays on so I can't get codes. Once I turn my car off, I can start it again and it will be off until I drive a few miles. Some days I get lucky and it never comes on. But I can't depend on that.

I'll check my solenoid connectors but I think its something more serious. I occasionally get a warning for "Brake Light" as well, claiming I have one burnt out I guess but I've checked it and it works. Could a bad ECU do all this?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

The ECU and TCU will "store" the codes, until they are cleared from memory. So it doesn't have to while or just after the light(s) come on. Try getting them and let us know what you get.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:12 AM

Ok, I checked for codes, nothing comes up. Without a jumper, I turn the key on, the "S" light and the check engine light flashes on once and goes off, as normal. With a jumper, the "S" light doesn't come on at all and the check engine light stays on. Any ideas?

Also, I checked the solenoid contacts, they all look good, no corrosion or debris.

Quick Reply: 1991 Honda Accord LX "s" light issue.