General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 SE ALB (ABS) Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Question 1991 SE ALB (ABS) Problems

Hey everyone!
So I have had my 1991 SE Sedan for about a year now. Ever since I bought it last year, the ABS light on the dash has been on. It would turn off when I started the car, but after going >30 mph or being on for several minutes, it would turn on and I would hear a click in the trunk. I took it to the Honda dealer, and they suspected a bad control unit, because the trunk leaked. Fixing the trunk leak, I looked for a computer because I was unable to pull trouble codes from the unit-a fact the dealer had previously stated. Rather than pay $500+ for a new one, I went to a junkyard and pulled one out of a '93 SE Coupe. It was identical except the shield had different shaped holes and the unit was flipped around with the label facing the outside of the car, opposed to the trunk (per the original) Regardless, it mounted so I plugged the 2 connectors and the front/rear fail-safe relays. The relays were not the original Denso ones, but were Mitsubishi (?) Now the ABS light is illuminated all the time, and I still cannot pull trouble codes from it using the 2-P connector by the passenger's kick panel. Any ideas?

Old 06-27-2011, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Can you pull engine codes by using the two-pin connector?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Default Engine Codes

I have shorted the 2-P connector under the dash, and the ABS light stays solid and does not flash. I know that I shorted it because the CEL light will stay solid as well. This has happened with both ABS computers that I have tried in the car, which makes me suspect a wiring issue; however, I am not sure.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your best bet for figuring this out is a shop manual. Check the Online Manuals links in DIY forum for the download of this manual. Hopefully the download has ABS section. If that doesn't work, check automanualsource on ebay for a relatively inexpensive ($21.99) download. Finally, helminc.com will sell you an OEM manual (usually about $90). I have a 90 manual, but doesn't have ABS (not available apparently until 91).

There is a good 94-97 Accord manual for download (Online Manuals links), however I am unsure whether your 91 ABS is same as these.

I have some experience w/ repair of the 94-97 ABS system and have never had a problem accessing codes. You could have a faulty ABS control unit. You may want to replace ABS CU w/ junkyard part (car-part.com will help locate one near you). It should be inexpensive.

good luck

Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Default Junkyard ABS

So I downloaded a manual from the section for a 91- it does have an ABS-specific section. They mainly talk about a special tester tool that plugs in to a 6 pin port under the seat and can interface with the computer: However, they do have some other good bits that I will have to try.
I went to a Pick "n" Pull in Tigard (near where I live in Portland) and found one in the back of a '93 SE coupe. I compared the computer to the one in my car, and they are identical. Upon installing it, the ABS light is now continuously lit (opposed to lighting up after a few minutes of driving, per the old one), and again does not flash any codes when the 2-P connector is shorted. My guess is that the wiring is hokey somewhere along the passenger's side. I had a problem with my gas gauge and other instrument cluster problems that turned out to be a connector that wasn't all the way in the socket when the car was re-assembled at a rebuilder after the interior was stolen. So, when I get some more time, I'll check the wiring by the rear seat- I suspect that the wiring is damaged and causing the light to come on.
Thanks again for your helpt.