General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Accord inner tie rod replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Default 1992 Accord inner tie rod replacement

We own a 92 Accord, LX, 4 sp auto, 4door, no power anything, no AC.

I bought a front suspension kit from an eBay vendor. I installed the upper control arms/ball joints, outer tie rod ends, stabilizer bushings, and lower ball joints (yikes!).

The kit also contained some new inner tie rod ends, but most of the old part on the car cannot be seen because it is covered by a rubber boot similar to a CV boot.

I will be replacing the rear dampers, springs and upper arms/ball joints this afternoon.

After all of the suspension work is done, I will take the car to Honda for a complete alignment.

Is it easy for the DIY'er to replace the inner tie rod ends, or is this a job that requires specialty tools and a lot of expertise, and maybe is something which should be done by Honda just prior to the alignment?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Default RE: 1992 Accord inner tie rod replacement

check out this link and download the manual. It should help you a ton... I would answer you directly but I don't know off the top of my head since I've never done it... Hope this helps!

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

Old 06-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it is not that hard to replace inner tie rods....

you need to remove the outer tie rod ends, count the # of turns to put them back at same # ,, although in this case it is not too critical because you are going to have car alignend anyways,,

Anyho, once outer tie rod ends are out, remove the 19mm nut, remove both clamps that hold the p/s rack boot on, remove the boot, get a screwdriver and a hammer and bend over the lock tabs for the inner tie rod nut,, once tabs are out of the way, i believe it is a 17 mm,, remove the inner tie rod,, push down on the tie rod to put more pressure on the wrench this way it won't slip off..

reconnect in reverse order,, if the clamps for the boot brake do not worry just use tie straps, work great ..

Old 06-28-2006, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

it is not that hard to replace inner tie rods....

you need to remove the outer tie rod ends, count the # of turns to put them back at same # ,, although in this case it is not too critical because you are going to have car alignend anyways,,

Anyho, once outer tie rod ends are out, remove the 19mm nut, remove both clamps that hold the p/s rack boot on, remove the boot, get a screwdriver and a hammer and bend over the lock tabs for the inner tie rod nut,, once tabs are out of the way, i believe it is a 17 mm,, remove the inner tie rod,, push down on the tie rod to put more pressure on the wrench this way it won't slip off..

reconnect in reverse order,, if the clamps for the boot brake do not worry just use tie straps, work great ..
Thank you very much!

Old 06-28-2006, 02:43 PM

Quality knawage... that's good stuff...

Old 07-03-2006, 08:12 PM

I replaced both inner tie rods this morning.

Desert is absolutely right - not a difficult job.

For me the most difficult part was getting the little hose off and on the driver's side boot. This line between both boots must be there to equalize the air pressure difference between them as the rack moves into and out of either boot simultaneously.

Anyway, even Desert's suggestion about tilting the old tie rod end down against the wrench to prevent the wrench from slipping off the nut was absolutely correct.

Desert, thanks again for your expert advice.