General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

inner tie rod replacement.. need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Default inner tie rod replacement.. need help

whatzzup guys, been a while since i posted something here. well i hope you all could give me a advice on this issue. I've searched the forum and i did not see anything about a replacement of a INNER tie rod. i'm trying to get a wheel alignment from one of the shop here(les schawb) and i was informed that i need my driver side inner tie rod replace because it has a lot of play.(supposedly it should nothave a lot of play if any).so they cannot align it until its been fix.i have replaced the outer tie rod before but not the inner side. I'm ordering from a parts store and i plan to put it myself cuz they were asking a total of $247.00 with alignment. so i guess i'm putting that in but have them align it. can you guys give me any pointers of how to fix it? thanks again

Old 12-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: inner tie rod replacement.. need help

it is not theat hard to do,,,,,,,,,

disconnect the outer tie rod from the knuckle,remove the cutter pin, the 17mm castle nut, get a hammer and hit the knuckle to break loose the outer tie rod from its mounting ,, I would loosen up the nut at the inner tie rod first ,, the one that you loosen up to adjust the toe,, it is i believe a 19mm ..
anyho, once outer tie rod is off the knuckle, remove tie rod end , count how many turns to remove it , so you can reinstall it relatively close to what it was ..
once outer tie rod is out, remove the 19 mm nut, remove the clamps on the p/s rack boot, also there is a hose that plugs in to the boot, once boot is out, get a screwdriver or a small chisel and a hammer, you have to loosen the lock tab on the inner tie rod nut, once lock tab is loosened , get a 17mm ( should be the size on the inner tie rod nut) before loosening up the inner tie rod, and once the 17mm wrench is in the nut, pry down on the tie rod ( just grab it and pull down on it ) , this will keep the wrench from slipping, unscrew the inner tie rod,

when you get a new one, also get a new lock tab

reinstall in reverse order,, you can use some tie straps to secure the p/s rack boot should the clamps get damaged

Old 12-05-2007, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When I disconnect the tie-rod end ball joint the tie rod is "loose" and flops around in any direction. Do you mean the threaded connection and/or lock-nut is loose?

good luck

Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 AM

thanks for your replies Deserthonda and TexasHonda, guess it does not seem that hard but wanted to be sure. In response to texasHonda, idid not see whatthe guy was saying loose,he just said it has a lot of play, my bad i should had him show me. well i will get it fix and hopefully they can align it right this time because the reason i have them align it is that my rear wheels were wearing out on the inside. the previous alignment they did was realclose to max tolerances so they said it was still good. but then, notice last month that my tires were worn out on the inside only. tires were only a year old and the rest of the threads were good. i hope they can get it better this time. thanks again from your replies,have a good day.