General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rack & Pinion Boot/ LF Inner Tie rod, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Default Rack & Pinion Boot/ LF Inner Tie rod, need help

So I just fixed the idle problem on my 96 accord thanks again to PaHonda and JimBlake. Now its time to tackle the next issue. My mom took this car to get inspected last year and failed greatly. I managed to get it passed by another shop, but basically today I found out the estimate papers the shop gave my mom to fix it, SRS Check light - $90.00, Rack & Pinion Boot both sides $265.00, LF Inner tie rod - $171.00, Rear brake shoes - $170.00, and Two tires $224 for a grand whopping total of $920. A couple weeks later my mom just gave up and gave me the car and got herself another a new car.

The thing that I want to fix next is the Rack & pinion boot's and possibly both Left and Right Inner tie rods.

Inside the car there is a great amount of road noise feedback coming from the front. There is not really any wobbling or a major amount of play in the steering wheel so im assuming that the shop was honest and those are the items that need to be replaced. Is a lot of road noise inside the cabin a good reason to replace the rack and pinion boots and Inner tie rods? If so I would any one reccomed me getting these inner tie rods from ebay :

Also are there any right ups On Inner tie rod and R&P boot replacements? If so can someone guide me to the right direction? Thanks a lot in advance!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hi Member

After looking at that E-bay link that you had in there that I had to take out by the rules..I would buy them..

Make sure you get a written warranty from them...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

First off, you should inspect the steering rack and tie-rods before replacing. If you determine that you need to repair, do both of these items at the same time.

For the PS rack: Is there power steering fluid leaking from the rack? Are the boots torn?

For tie-rods: Put the front of the car on jackstands, then turn the steering wheel until it locks. Try to push pull each tire in the 12/6 and the 9/3 o'clock positions. There should be very little movement. If someone holds the steering wheel, there should be no movement. If there is movement, remove the tire, then look to see what suspension component is moving.

For the SRS light: Follow instructions for how to get CEL codes. The procedure is the same except you count the SRS light flashes. Post the code that flashes on here to start figuring out that problem.