General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 accord lx - brake light display on

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Default 1992 accord lx - brake light display on

I installed a oem rear spoiler w/stoplight on a 92 accord lx today. The car did not come installed from the dealer with a spoiler. I cut the connector off the highmount stop light bulb socket and wired it directly to the spoiler brake light. Stop light works when the brakes are applied but the stoplamp display message is on. The car thinks a stop light bulb is out. What should I do... the spoiler hits the power antenna when opening. I think the antenna is suppose to go down when the trunk open with the engine running??

Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

I am not sure that the power antenna will go down when the trunk is open. Does the antenna retract when the car is turned off?

I didn't think that the high-mount brake light that you bypassed was part of the brake lamp warning light system.

I am not sure what you should do. Did you buy the spoiler from a dealership? They printed out installation instructions for me when I put the factory cd player in my car. Maybe they still have the 92 installation instructions and will do the same for you.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:01 PM

I did not get the spoiler from the dealer. I purchased the trunk and the attach spoiler from a guy seller it from craigslist for $50.00.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, you can still try to get the installation instructions from the dealership. Maybe there is a certain way to wire up the spoiler.

The warning light isn't going to hurt anything until you figure this out. It is just to notify you that a brake bulb is burned out.

Not sure about the antenna. Hopefully a 92 owner will post about their spoiler/antenna. Just don't open the trunk when the antenna is up.

You may want to email the person you bought it from to see if they encountered the same problems with the brake warning lamp and the antenna.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Check the wiring in the shop manual (thread in DIY section about on-line manuals). Maybe the spoiler-brake-lamp has to be wired a certain way to keep the blown-lamp-detector happy.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:08 AM

I know this is an old thread but recently had the same problem there is a harness that hooks to the trunk light and the antenna that lowers the antenna when trunk is open it is just a few wires and a relay I found the harness at a local junkyard but here is a link to a DIY to make the harness DIY: Quick and Easy Antenna Relay Solution for Those Who Have Aftermarket Spoilers - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

Old 06-21-2014, 12:11 AM

also the reason the reason the system thinks a brake light is out is LEDs in the spoiler light don't offer enough resistance so system thinks light is out one solution is there is a spoiler harness that jumpers into the brake light on the trunk lid and plugs into the spoiler light or can just wire in a LED load resistor and warning light should go out

Old 06-21-2014, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Vampchylde
also the reason the reason the system thinks a brake light is out is LEDs in the spoiler light don't offer enough resistance so system thinks light is out one solution is there is a spoiler harness that jumpers into the brake light on the trunk lid and plugs into the spoiler light or can just wire in a LED load resistor and warning light should go out
Correct.

To further add/clarify. The OP did not use the existing OEM harness connector (located in the left side trunk lid) for the optional spoiler. The OP cut the high-mount brake light wiring, which uses a regular incandescent bulb (and runs through the right side brake failure sensor) for the spoiler (which has LEDs). The LEDs lower power consumption (compared to incandescent bulb) made the right brake light failure sensor indicate a bulb was out.

The OEM spoiler harness wiring runs in-line with the left inner brake/taillight bulb wiring. As long as the left inner brake light bulb is okay, the left brake light failure sensor will not indicate a bulb is out with the spoiler's LEDs.