General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Accord LX Owner

Old 01-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Smile 1992 Accord LX Owner

Hello.

I've had my 1992 Accord LX Auto since 2007, but it's been in our family for a very long time. It was given to me by my aunt in 2007 so that I could have a car for high school. I used to be driven around in it when I was a kid, and now I am the one driving it!

We've taken excellent care of the car through the years, but now I am having some issues. I posted this in the General Tech Help forum, but will post here as well since I am new.

Hello all,

My 1992 Accord LX Automatic has a bouncing speedometer and keeps popping out of 4th gear to 3rd erratically.

Events:

Few years ago: Speedometer began bouncing. I just dealt with it and got used to it.

1 month ago: Car started to pop out of 4th gear to 3rd. D4 light flashed.

The TCU was replaced ~10 years ago with a 722 model. We sent that same TCU to a rebuilder on ebay (ASI). They said they found issues and rebuilt it. We got it back, put it in, and the issue continued.

We got another computer from ebay and put it in. The car would not shift out of 4th, and the D4 light was solid no matter where you put the gear **** (park etc.). I sent that computer back for an exchange a few days ago and am expecting another very soon from the same person.

We took it to a very good Honda mechanic in the area last week and he fixed the flashing D4 light. He said it was the harness that plugged into the VSS(we actually put in an OEM VSS a few weeks ago). So no more flashing D4, but the bouncing speedo remains(he said to replace the cluster). He said that the car popping out of gear is due to the TCU, which is what I am waiting on.

Do you all agree with this? I just want to pass this by you guys since you might see something we are overlooking. I should note that the Transmission Solenoids are alright (my dad cleaned them out). We've tried junkyards for this TCU, but can't find any. Could the ECU have something to do with this? Also, could there be a correlation between the bouncing speedometer and the popping out of gear? I really appreciate your help!!

Edit: 233,000 miles on my car.
I'm honored to be a member of these forums with fellow Honda drivers

Last edited by tkd4ever; 01-13-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Add mileage
Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 AM
Administrator

Good morning new member..I shall move this to the correct forum for you..

Was posted in wrong thread..