General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 accord Overheating-cooling fans wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 AM

okay thanks i did what you said and when the car gets to its normal running temp then starts to heat up (around the time the fans should kick on) the thermostat opens and the car cools for a second then starts to overheat after a min or so.

Both the upper and lower hoses are the same temp and pressure. this whole situation is really puzzling and i do not have a voltage meter.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

You can get a digital multi-meter for under $20 at most discount stores like Walmart. The analog one with the needle will work as well and are probably around $10.

When the temperature gauge reads above the half way mark, unplug that sensor. You want to test the two pins are a closed circuit to each other. You can test using the resistance or the open/closed function on the volt meter.

Until you figure out the problem, you may want to leave the switch jumped, so you don't overheat the engine.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 PM

okay i will try that next. thanks for all the help and ill jump the switch for now just so it does overheat and if i have any questions ill be back on here to some advise...thanks for the help!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck. Let us know the solution to the problem. It sounds like you got a faulty new sensor.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:35 PM

I have this same problem.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

The same prob and you have done all of the tests listed?

We are here to help but personally I need a little more than "I have this the same problem".....

Old 12-24-2011, 11:17 PM

Sorry poorman

Old 12-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ineedhelp
Sorry poorman
No need to be sorry....tell us what issue you have and what you have done and we will help.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:07 PM

I just replaced the head gasket and all the sensors on my moms 92 accord ex and none of the fans are coming on and the temp guage on the dash has gone close to the top a few times now. The only thing I have done so far is to test the voltage at the fan switch A from the plug. I read close to 14v at the plug. I have not tried to jump the plug to hot wire the fans from the fan thermoswitch A yet. I was thinking that using the voltmeter to test the voltage would sesrve the same purpose as a wire jumper.

I still have to get the car back up to temp again and test the switch itself to see if I get a closed circuit through the switch.

I went looking under my moms dash on the drivers side and it looks like the timer is just hanging there not bolted or zip tied to any thing. Is that normal or does the timer need to be bolted down somewhere?

Oh I know the fans are good. They start right up w/a 12v jump strart a the fan plug.

After putting the engine back together for the head gasket repair is when I replaced all the temp sensors/switches and the oil sending unit.

Also I have been wondering if it's possible to get the plugs mixed up from one sensor to another and if there is an easy way to determine if I have the plugs located proplery at the switches. All the plugs look identical w/the exception of color.

Thank you and Merry Christmas all,

Last edited by Ineedhelp; 12-25-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Lets start simple.

Be sure all of the air is out of the cooling system.....heat to max and bleed the air as you fill.

Then, key to on position. Remove the connector from thermo a (green connector on t-stat) use a piece of wire or paper clip to jump the pins in the CONNECTOR-WIRES...do BOTH fans come on?

Quick Reply: 1992 accord Overheating-cooling fans wont turn on