General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Accord Periodically Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
ruanddu
Unregistered
Default 1992 Accord Periodically Won't Start

I have a 92 Accord LX Wagon that has been running great for the last year I have owned it. It has 108,000 miles. Just two days ago, however, it wouldn't start out of the blue. The car would turn over just fine but wouldn't make the final push to start, just crank over and over again. I tried numerous times with no luck and decided to try again about 2 hours later. When I came back 2 hours later I tried again with no luck, so proceeded to pop the hood and jiggle all the electrical wires I could see to make sure all connections were tight (they all appeared to be). I then tried starting the car and it fired right up and has been starting fine for the last two days.

It seems to me that battery is fine as well as the alternator since it was cranking over fine. Maybe the main relay or coil in the distrubutor? Would it be wise to replace these even though it is starting fine now? I'd hate to get stuck somewhere and have to pay a tow fee to my mechanic. I am sure the problem will happen again, it's just a matter of time. Thanks for any tips you might have.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you could have a bad connection on the wires you moved around ,or it could have been a simple coincidence..
It would not be wise to start replacing parts out of the blue,, unless you are a rich person and do not mind the possibility of wasting money ,,

it sounds like a typical main relay issue but I for one, DO NOT like to replace parts until i properly DIAGNOSE THE CAUSE ..

you need to determine if car won't start because lack of spark or lack of fuel,,

the main relay or the coil , either one could be the cause but what if it is not ?? could be the ignitor, distr rotor, fuel pump, ignit switch,, ??

have a can of carb cleaner, when car does not start, remove the intake hose going to throttle body, spray carb cleaner in there, try to start the car , if it starts most likely it is lack of fuel,, it will narrow your diagnose considerably ,,

there are write ups on the DIY section to diagnose such issues ..

Last edited by deserthonda; 08-20-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Next time it happens, wiggle the wires ONE AT A TIME & try to start. Identify the particular thing that made it work.