General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Accord random starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Default 1992 Accord random starting issues

Hello, I am new here and have done a search for this and there are a lot of starting issues and it is so hard to sort through them all and I appologize if this is a repost.

Anyway, I have a 1992 Accord EX with AT that will sometimes not start after sitting for a few minutes, but not always. Usually between 2-10 minutes. It just cranks over with no fire. If I wait about 2 minutes it usually will start, but sometimes if it starts, the light on the dash around what gear I am in will flash around the (4) and I either have 2nd gear or 4th gear. 2nd when the lever is in 1st or 2nd possition and 4th if the lever is in 3rd or 4th position; reverse is normal. The distributor is new and plugs and wires are new, but sometimes seems like a fuel issue. There is no rime or reason as to when it does this, so I just can't figure out what is going on.

Can someone help this new guy?

Thanks,
cumminsman

Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1992 Accord random starting issues

1) Is the D4 light flashing? You might need to pull the code for that and see what's up with that.

2) To check fuel & fuel pressure: Turn key to the II position and listen for the fuel pump to kick on. Go under the hood and loosed the banjo bolt hold the fuel line to the fuel rail to check pressure WITH A RAG WRAPPED AROUND IT. Dribble = bad, low pressure. Spray = good pressure and fuel. Or, you can do it the correct way and put a pressure gauge on the pressure fitting on the fuel rail. Should read around 30 PSI.

3) This is coming way out of left field, but when was the last time the timing belt was changed? A stretched belt can jump a tooth or two under certain driving conditions and, combined with a weak spark or low fuel pressure, cause these problems (happened to me).

I would think the starting and transmission problem are unrelated, but who knows.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Default RE: 1992 Accord random starting issues

Thanks for the responce finch13!

I will check these things you said, but it is so speratic that it is hard to get it to do it. It did do it when I dropped my son off at the daycare. Actually it started fine but did the stuck in either 4th or 2nd gear with the green light flashing around the (4).I had a ways to drive the rest of the way to work, so I shut it off to see if I could get that to go away and it would not start for about 2 minutes, just turning over and over and over. I sat there listening to the radio for a couple minutes and it started as everything was normal. I just don't get it.

The timing belt was changed about 20k-25k miles ago.