General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 CB7 Accord engine making popping/clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 07:34 AM
Default 1992 CB7 Accord engine making popping/clicking sound

Hello I have a 92 Accord with a cb7 engine and recently I've had this piece in the engine bay above the PGM-FI unit that is making a light popping or clicking sound when the engine's heated up after driving, I have a picture of it and my local mechanic said it's probably an EGR purge valve. I looked that up online and can't find it anywhere does anyone have a clue exactly what this is or if there's a part number anything. Thanks

Old 09-05-2022, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

It is either the evap purge solenoid or maybe a vacuum solenoid. What are the wire colors going to that connector?

What is the hose connecting to from the bottom of that part? It also looks like the hose is rotted/damaged in your picture, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old 09-06-2022, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
It is either the evap purge solenoid or maybe a vacuum solenoid. What are the wire colors going to that connector?

What is the hose connecting to from the bottom of that part? It also looks like the hose is rotted/damaged in your picture, but I'm not 100% sure.
The wire colors are green and black, the green one has a white stripe on it and the black one has a yellow stripe on it. The hose on the bottom goes directly to the back of the PGM-FI unit, and surprisingly this hose is fine others had leaks but this hose is fine it's the actual unit that's faulty the whole top part of it comes off. I'll look both of those up thank you

Old 09-06-2022, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure that is the rear engine mount control solenoid. The solenoid could be bad, or the solenoid is getting signal from the engine mount control module to open/close. Another possibility is the grn/wht wire is touching ground due to vibration and signaling the valve to open/close. Take a look at the wiring for signs of damage to the wire harness sheath or the wire where it can touch ground.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I'm pretty sure that is the rear engine mount control solenoid. The solenoid could be bad, or the solenoid is getting signal from the engine mount control module to open/close. Another possibility is the grn/wht wire is touching ground due to vibration and signaling the valve to open/close. Take a look at the wiring for signs of damage to the wire harness sheath or the wire where it can touch ground.

Yeah I believe it is that I looked that up for my year/ model and I'm getting closer I can't find one exactly like it anywhere though just the solenoid itself and Honda has them discontinued. You said it can be told to do that by the rear engine mount correct? Would that be a possibility from me having a vaccuum leak? I have two engine codes but I believe they're incorrectly coming up due to my vaccuum leak I just can't find. Is it possible this is also opening/closing at a insufficient rate because of my leak?

Old 09-06-2022, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

There is a rear mount control unit under the passenger dash that controls that solenoid.

There is a pdf of the shop manual that covers the 90-93 accords. Google 62N700.pdf to find a site where you can download it. It should help with the location of items and some of the wiring diagrams.