General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Honda Accord Door Switch problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Default 1992 Honda Accord Door Switch problems

I have a problem with my 1992 Honda Accord EX. When the front doors are opened (either the driver or passenger door), the dome light does not activate and more annoying, the bell does not go off to indicate that I have left my headlights on. I have run my battery down from leaving the headlights on several times now and this is my main motivation for wanting to fix this problem. I first thought it is the door switch, but since both of the front doors are not triggering, then it might be electrical? The back doors are working (the dome light comes on).

I have already checked the fuse box and didn't find any blown fuses (but it didn't appear that there were any fuses for this function?). I also checked the basic mechanism of the door switch and it seems to be functioning fine (no stickiness, smooth motion present, etc). How would I check the wiring?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you removed each door switch and checked for continuity across the single terminal to ground. It should show a short to body ground w/ door open. You can also short the wire directly to ground to see if overhead lights and bell come on.

If switches check OK and lights don't come on, the safety indicator on the gauge panel is defective. You may be able to remove the gauge panel and repair cracked solder jts or defective components.

It likely will be easier to find a used instrument panel. Check car-part.com for sources of "instrument panel" near your zip code. You'll have to either swap your gauge panel and reset mileage or file a altered mileage statement w/ your state. Not sure how difficult either may be.

You should download a manual from Online Manuals links in DiY forum. The circuit diagram is essential to this type of work.

good luck