General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Accord Brake Drums and Rotors How?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Default 1993 Accord Brake Drums and Rotors How?

I need to change the brakes all the way around and was wondering if there was a video on how to remove the rotors and drums someplace?

The Drums really seemed on there should I whack them with a sledge?

And the rotors.. How do you get them off? Any videos on how to?

I know how to change the shoes and pads..

Thanks,
Bob

Old 11-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Ericthecarguy and others have videos on "trapped rotors" on Hondas. A little searching on youtube will yield plenty of good videos. ETCG's was very good but don't remember exact title. Go to his website and search.

You will want to replace pin boots, caliper piston boots, and other soft goods on these brakes. Clean and grease caliper pins.

good luck

Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Got the drums done last might and MY GOD that was a pain in the rear.
I have done several GM drum brake jobs and figured how bad could it be..
The spring over the adjuster was a monster and getting the brakes together again required I use my Swiss Vise to hold the shoe in place.
I tried to get a rotor off myself and no luck. I cant wait to watch the video. OMG who would have thought it
would be so tuff.

Last edited by ChicagoBob123; 11-30-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 PM

I tried to remove the big 36mm front hub/axle bolt to get the rotors off and could not get it loose. I think I need a torch to heat it up but was not sure if that would effect anything else. I had about 250 to 300lbs of pressure on that thing and did not see it give. MAN! Thats stuck.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

The rear shoes are rather easy, IMO.
1) Lower spring-off
2) Hold down pins-off
3) Use the upper part of the shoes, still on the cyl, to compress the cyl-since the lower part is undone this is easy.
4) As you "kind of pull apart" the upper part of the shoes, slide them out
5) remove the parking brake cable

You are now holding the shoes in you hands with the upper spring and adjuster still in place...priceless......EDIT: of course, put the shoes on the ground and remove the adjuster, spring, PB lever, ect..... install all this on the new shoes while off the car.

Reverse for install

Next time I have to change the shoes on one of mine I was going to take pic's and try to do a proper write up, then pass it around the other mod's and another friend (redbull-1) and see if we should post it up...

Last edited by poorman212; 11-30-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by ChicagoBob123
I tried to remove the big 36mm front hub/axle bolt to get the rotors off and could not get it loose. I think I need a torch to heat it up but was not sure if that would effect anything else. I had about 250 to 300lbs of pressure on that thing and did not see it give. MAN! Thats stuck.
An air impact is best tool for hub/axle retaining nut. If you don't have an air impact, an 18" breaker bar w/ cheater pipe is necessary. It can be tricky to keep socket on this shallow nut. Some use a jack stand to support the socket w/ extension and absorb the vertical load.

good luck

Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ChicagoBob123
Take it to a repair place and ask them if they'll merely loosen the nut and re-tighten it. Should be very inexpensive. When you get it back home, you'll be able to loosen it much much more easily.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Got through the rear brakes which I have to believe I am doing wrong. Strecthing that spring and keeping the shoes in place was insane.

I then found a video by eric the car guy for a 1990 honda and catpured rotors, which I guess I have, and freaked.
Break the wheel free from the tie rod ends, ball joints, to change the rotor?
After the shock was over I decided to ruin a pair of pads and wait till I enough $ for a pair of front wheel bearings (another $100) and another weeked to dedicate to the car. I figured with about 202K the bearings have to be worn. And I am pretty upbeat because for about $700 ( I think thats going to be the total) I will have replaced seals, timing belt, water pump, rear brake shoes, front brake wheel bearings, front rotors, muffler and connecting pipe to resonator pipe.. In short quite a huge amount of the basics all while driving it 400 plus miles a week and for less than Honda wanted to change just the timing belt.
DIY pays off big time.

Last edited by ChicagoBob123; 12-05-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:46 PM

[quote=poorman212;262417]The rear shoes are rather easy, IMO.
1) Lower spring-off
2) Hold down pins-off
3) Use the upper part of the shoes, still on the cyl, to compress the cyl-since the lower part is undone this is easy.
4) As you "kind of pull apart" the upper part of the shoes, slide them out

I could not get this to happen. I could not pull the brakes apart.
Tried it. Had to yank hard on that spring to pull it loose from the shoes.
Putting it on was much much harder than it should be.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM

If you can still find one to buy or rent, try one of these. Take a look at the following pdf for a description on its use:
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...DE8mOA&cad=rja

I own one of these tools. Over four years ago I wrote about my experience using it. (BTW, those same wheel bearings and rotors are still operating just fine. I would not hesitate to use it again.)

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...lacement-9500/

Quick Reply: 1993 Accord Brake Drums and Rotors How?