General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Accord won't stay running without holding the key, WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1993 Accord won't stay running without holding the key, WTF!!

OK, here is the problem.

I started my 1993 Honda Accord last night, and drove it home from work. Got about 3 miles and it started to stutter , wouldn't idle, and started to die.

I gave it a good revving, and it seemed OK, until i got home and shut it off.

I turned it OFF, waited a few minutes, and tried to start the car again.

It would turn over, but i had to HOLD THE KEY in place to keep it idling. AS i was doing this, the car drove just fine, but if i let off the pressure on the key, it would stall.
Besides that , my radio would not turn ON, nor did i have any power going to the Ac/ Heater.
As soon as the car would STALL, the radio would come ON, and the A/c fan would come on.

Got up today, started the car up, and did not have to hold the key, and everything worked just fine. I drove it to work(8 miles), and drove it home on break, and again no problems.
After a 1 1/2 break, got back in the car, started it , but it would not stay running , unless i held the key in a certain position, and again no radio or heat/ac, unless the car stalled.

Does any one have an idea what may be the problem?. It's a 5 speed and i cannot keep driving around like this, since it's an accident waiting to happen, IMO.
Sorry about the long details, but i wanted to be clear on exactly what i am going through. Any replies or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

The electrical part of the ign switch is going bad.......you can test the continuity across the pins to verfy but based upon the description, classic description of a failing one.

You DO NOT have to replace the key part, just the electrical part of the switch.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Poorman, thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate you taken the time to give me a thoughtful answer.
Is this something i can do by myself? or do i need to take it to a mechanic?

If i was to look up the part , is it just called IGNITION SWITCH?
Again, thank you!

Old 02-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It is something you can do yourself and should take you no longer than 40 mins to do. I assume you do not have google so I will post the instructions and the part you are replacing.

instructions

Part (w 10 year warranty)

Old 02-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
It is something you can do yourself and should take you no longer than 40 mins to do. I assume you do not have google so I will post the instructions and the part you are replacing.

instructions

Part (w 10 year warranty)

Thank you for the reply. I noticed you're instructions you posted are for a1998 to 2002. Is it pretty much the same for a 1993 Accord?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yes it is almost exactly the same. You're not doing the testing part. You're just going to change the part so you will start by taking the steering collar apart and follow the cable from the switch to the end to unplug it. Below are written instructions for the 93.

Your gonna need a couple of zip ties, a phillips screwdriver, something to cut zip ties off like some dikes, & a ratchet w/ 14mm socket & a 6" extension.

Disconnect the negative terminal on your battery & make sure you have the stereo code..

Take the plastic cover off of the steering column - 4-5 screws.

Take the 2 14mm nuts off that hold the steering wheel up. You need to drop the steering wheel so you can get to the back of the ignition switch.

Then take the 3 screws of of the back of the ignition switch. This frees it up from the ignition itself.

Feed it through & under the steering column. Cut the couple of zip ties that hold the ignition switch harness up to the rest of the harness and free it up all the back to the fusebox. Then unplug it.

Reverse all of these instructions to put it back together.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you. If the parts store has one, i will pick one up and give it a go.