General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Accord EX Misfire, no CEL Weird Sound and small Vibration

Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default 1994 Accord EX Misfire, no CEL Weird Sound and small Vibration

Seems like my Accord is misfiring, I can feel raw gas like smell coming from the muffler(Just Installed a new muffler, Walker 18562).

There is no CEL, though, if I am on a light or at a complete stop, feel like a little bit weird vibration/shake, if I put the car in Neutral or Park, vibration seems to go away, but I can still feel a misfire, with a weird bang bang noise coming from the muffler area---kinda hard to explain.

I have tested the compression on the cylinders:

Cylinder Dry Wet
1 200 220
2 181 220
3 180 211
4 138 154

What do you think? Any possible issues or red flags with the engine or headgasket?

Plugs are gone and I have already ordered a full tune up kit(Spark Plugs, Wires, PCV Valve, Distributor cap, Rotor, Air Filter) and going to do it next weekend.

Any help, input or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Guys!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Questions like these belong in General Tech. I've moved this one.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Compressions suggest a problem w/ #4 cylinder, possibly leaking valve. You might try checking valve gap adjustment and retry compression check. A leak-down test will confirm if valve is leaking or compression rings are leaking.

What does spark plug for #4 look like? It may be fouling and misfiring.

Any loss of coolant, coolant in oil, or oil in coolant. This would indicate a failed head gasket.

good luck

Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Questions like these belong in General Tech. I've moved this one.
Thanks so much and I apologize for my ignorance, will keep in mind for future.

Compressions suggest a problem w/ #4 cylinder, possibly leaking valve. You might try checking valve gap adjustment and retry compression check. A leak-down test will confirm if valve is leaking or compression rings are leaking.

What does spark plug for #4 look like? It may be fouling and misfiring.

Any loss of coolant, coolant in oil, or oil in coolant. This would indicate a failed head gasket.
Almost all plugs are not in good condition, 2/4 plugs have no Tip left(NGK Platinum Spark Plug).

Yes, for some reason, coolant is pushed into reservoir bottle and I have to either pour back the coolant to radiator or fill up the radiator bit, maybe once a week.

No Oil in the coolant or vice versa.

Engine cap/radiator cap has no milky residue and no white smoke either.

Can it happen that car misfire and no CEL? Another thing, 3rd Spark plug wire does not go completely in the Spark plug tube, though I hear a click when I push it in the Spark plug.

I have ordered NGK V power(Copper), should I go platinum or it does not matter?

Raw gas like smell coming from the tail pipe, what does it predict, any link with misfiring?

Sorry, kinda noob, trying to learn, search, research, troubleshoot and fix!

Thanks again guys for your help and guidance.

Last edited by faran; 01-27-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Coolant is going somewhere, either external or internal. If all external leaks are eliminated, then head gasket is leaking. It can happen w/o overheating or contaminated oil/coolant.

I had occasional misfire and slow loss of coolant condition on my 94EX. Primary symptom was hard miss for a short time after a hot restart. Pulled plugs and got coolant blast from one cylinder. New HG fixed problem.

Yes, you can have a misfire w/o CEL on 94 Accord. I had this condition several times.

Proposed new plugs are fine IMO.

If you have a misfire, some raw gas in exhaust is likely.

good luck

Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Coolant is going somewhere, either external or internal. If all external leaks are eliminated, then head gasket is leaking. It can happen w/o overheating or contaminated oil/coolant.

I had occasional misfire and slow loss of coolant condition on my 94EX. Primary symptom was hard miss for a short time after a hot restart. Pulled plugs and got coolant blast from one cylinder. New HG fixed problem.

Yes, you can have a misfire w/o CEL on 94 Accord. I had this condition several times.

Proposed new plugs are fine IMO.

If you have a misfire, some raw gas in exhaust is likely.

good luck
Thanks so much for the help and response.

One more thing, cold start is REALLY ROUGH, while after a hot restart, car drives much better. Any thoughts?

Let me start with the Tune up first and will update with the results and outcome.

Thanks again

Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Yes the tune up and I would address that wire that isn't seating.

For ~$35 there is a block test (this tests for exhaust gas in the coolant system) you can do, this will confirm a bad head gasket.....go to autozone's site and look up PN# 27145, this is the tester...the fluid needed is PN# 25739. There are other places that sell these kits but that was the first one that came up.