General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 Accord stuck in Park!! HELP!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Red face 91 Accord stuck in Park!! HELP!

Hiya! Yesterday was a great day in Chillicothe, Ohio, until I came out of the laundrymat smellin like Downy, and my car would't shift out of park! Really glad for AAA, and for handsome towtruck drivers (), and now car, laundry and self are back home. Laundry good, car still stuck in Park!
Advice? Anyone live near Hocking Hills Ohio? Help? Thanks in advance for helping this girl out!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

so if the shift lever is stuck in park, you may have a bad shift lock solenoid. it keeps you from shifting out of park until your foot is on the brake. could be the brake switch too. there should be a plate near the shifter that can be removed, if you insert your key then you'll be able to shift out of park. that's my guess anyway???

Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

here is some additional info:

DESCRIPTION
This car is equipped with the following devices to prevent inadvertently shifting:
  • AT selector with shift lock
  • Key cylinder with interlocked ignition key
SHIFT LOCK SYSTEM
The shift lock system prevents the shift lever from moving to "R" or "D" from the "P" position unless the brake pedal is depressed.
In case of system malfunction, the shift lever can be released by pushing a key into the release slot near the shift lever.

KEY INTERLOCK SYSTEM
The ignition key cannot be removed from the ignition switch unless the shift lever is in the "P" position.
If the key is inserted when the shift lever is in any position other than "P", a solenoid is activated, making it impossible for the key to be removed until the shift lever is moved to the "P" position.

OPERATION

SHIFT LOCK SYSTEM
Voltage is provided at all times through fuse 25 to the key interlock switch. When you push the key in, voltage is provided to the key interlock solenoid, and the interlock control unit. You can then turn the key OFF, and remove it. However, if the AT gear position switch is not in PARK, the interlock control unit will provide ground to the key interlock solenoid, energizing it so the key cannot be removed.

KEY INTERLOCK SYSTEM
With the ignition switch in RUN or START, voltage is provided to the shift lock solenoid through fuse 1. When the AT gear position switch is in PARK, the transmission control module (TCM) provides voltage to the shift lock circuit, provided the brake pedal is pushed and the throttle is not. Ground is provided to the shift lock solenoid through the AT gear position switch. The solenoid then energizes, releasing the AT gear lever.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi Jeff! Thanks for responding so quickly. My mechanically inclined neighbor has taken off the console, so the whole center is open for inspection. We've tried using the key in the shift lock to no avail. Where is the shift lock solenoid?
Is there a place to download a shop manual?
Thanks!!!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

the solenoid is located near the shifter in the console, but if you can't move the shifter with the inserted into the slot...there maybe other issues, inserting the key bypass all electrical shift lock systems, primarily if you have a dead battery you can still shift it out of park to move it.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

It may be the shift position console switch. See attached pic. for info. on how to test the part.

The part is available via Honda or places like Carquest. Honda part number 35700-SM4-A91.

CARQUEST Auto Parts - Engine Controls Catalog - 1038

Attached Thumbnails 91 Accord stuck in Park!! HELP!-shift-position-console-switch.jpg  
Old 07-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks again Jeff, and thank you Redbull for the photo! I've printed it out, and will show all of this to my neighbor when he gets home.

Will stay tuned for more tips, and will report any/all solutions!

This site is so incredibly helpful! As a woman, sometimes I feel as if I have "TAKE Advantage of my lack of Auto Mechanics and charge me lots of money!" stamped on my forehead when I go to the shop! LOL!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM

my 91 Honda Accord stuck in Park

Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF!
So is there a question?

Did you check the things mentioned above?