General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Accord stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:56 PM
osiris3mc
Unregistered
Default 1997 Accord stuck in park

Hey all, I need some help!

I've got a 1997 Honda Accord that's stuck in park. I have been putting the key in the release unlock, shifting to neutral, starting the car, and then putting into drive. The button on the shifter does go in, but I can't get it out of park.

The brake lights DO NOT light up when I tap on the brake pedal. However, I've noticed they DO light up when I lock/unlock the car with the keyless entry device. Also, the horn does work. So, I don't think the issue is with a fuse or with the brake lights, but, if I'm wrong, please let me know!

So, I'm just wondering if anyone know what the problem could be, or how I could go about determining what the problem is.

Thanks everyone!

- Matt

Old 07-13-2008, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1997 Accord stuck in park

There is a writeup in the DIY section about being stuck in park. The brake switch needs to work properly to open the shift lock.

Since the brake lights do not turn on when you hit the pedal, the brake switch is lijely stuck, shot, or needs adjusted.

Also in DIY section, the ACC 5th gen... thread has a link to dhost site with an online manual that you can download the pdf by chapter. The electrical pdf page 23-214 has some electrical tests to determine the problem.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

2 possibilities

1. shift interlock is bad
2. brake switch is bad

Old 07-13-2008, 10:04 AM
osiris3mc
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

There is a writeup in the DIY section about being stuck in park. The brake switch needs to work properly to open the shift lock.

Since the brake lights do not turn on when you hit the pedal, the brake switch is lijely stuck, shot, or needs adjusted.

Also in DIY section, the ACC 5th gen... thread has a link to dhost site with an online manual that you can download the pdf by chapter. The electrical pdf page 23-214 has some electrical tests to determine the problem.
Thanks very much! I didn't see the thread in the DIY section on this, sorry! I'm looking into the possible problem now. Thanks again!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:27 AM
osiris3mc
Unregistered

I actually cannot access the thread "CANNOT GET OUT OF PARK....DIAGNOSE" - for some reason when I click on it, I get "bad request" and the page does not come up.
Does anyone else have this problem? It's so frustrating! Help please!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:21 AM
osiris3mc
Unregistered

Hey everyone,

I pulled up the page I couldn't access before, just changed "%25" in the URL to "."

Anyway, I tried the paperclip bypass test and I still can't get out of park. Is there anything else I can do, or do I have to suck it up and take it to a mechanic?

Thanks guys.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:50 PM
osiris3mc
Unregistered

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on my last post. I was out of town last week and need to decide whether to take it to a mechanic tomorrow morning or try to further look into this myself. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Do the brake lights work when you hit the pedal?

You can check the that the shiftlock solenoid by lightly tapping on it when the key is in the ignition and your foot is on the brake. That shop manual in the thread I mentioned in my first post, the electrical pdf 23-148 and 152 has information on testing the shift lock solenoid.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 AM
Default 1998 Accord Stuck in Park - Fixed

Yesterday, my daughter's 1998 Honda Accord (LX) had an issue with the vehicle stuck in park. Tried to release the gear shift but it would not move.

The horn worked. The brake lights would work only when the vehicle was not running. Once the vehicle was running, the brake lights would not work. I had to tap on the brakes 5-10 times until the gear shift would unlock.

I went to Autozone and picked up a Brake Switch for $27.00 and it took me 10 minutes to replace it. I disconnected the ground wire from the battery before I started. I located the brake switch (just above the brake pedal), loosen the nut and unscrewed the old brake switch and reinstalled. Connected the ground wire to the battery and now everything works again.

Easy fix.

Attached Thumbnails  1997 Accord stuck in park-brakeswitch.jpg