General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 accord auto stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 03:35 AM
hipmatt
Unregistered
Default 03 accord auto stuck in park

please help. my wifes 03 accord auto won't come out of park..the brake lights don't work either. What do you all think it could be. I pulle the clip off of the shifter and pushed down and manually got the car in drive, to get it home, but it still won't go into drive with out that. Any ideas, someone said brake switch, could it be that? Where is it located if it is that? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-14-2006, 04:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 03 accord auto stuck in park

yep definately brake switch......or something that has to do with that. check fuses first.

but the brake switch is located under the dash drivers side right on the brake pedal that you push. if that switch goes out, then the tranny doesnt know that your pushing the brake and wont let the tranny switch

Old 06-14-2006, 04:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

here is what you do,,,,,,,,,,,,in the underhood fuse box ,, chk fuse # 13 ,, 20 amps, make sure it is ok,,, if not replace as needed..

If fuse is ok, chk power at the brake switch , located where light says , on the bracket above brake pedal.. disconnect the plug, get a paper clip and jump the RED and the WHITE/BLACK wires together , if brake lites work and you can shift out of park you got a bad brake switch ,,, replace as needed ...

try this and let me know the results ..

Old 06-14-2006, 07:18 PM
vader3234
Unregistered

Was istalling an alarm in a 96 honda and I blew the fuse that opperates the neutral saftey switch, like mentioned before the fix will be to check the fuses in the kick panel and visually inspect eack one of them regardless of what the legend says. Although even that would not explain what caused it to short.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:40 PM
jmc
Unregistered

My daughter's 02 EX coupe just started the same symptom....stuck in park.

Horn worked (fuse ok) but no brake lights (bad switch)

I joined the forum yesterday, saw the DIY solution, called the Honda dealer, bought the part (TN sales tax is 9.75 %) totaling $ 37.

Used an adjustable crescent wrench to loosen the leftmost nut (right one is fixed to the bracket), spun the switch around and released the clip with a small screwdriver....then spun the rest of the switch off. The new one went on in a few seconds.....problem solved.

This forum is great.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Since this was your first post, WELCOME!

It's nice to know when our advice works to help someone out.