General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Post 1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly

I wonder if anybody here has replaced the brush assembly without removing the alternator itself. I've read that some of you did that on other models but I'm not sure if that is feasible on a '94 Accord. I can't find a detailed diagram of the procedure and the Honda Parts Catalog picture is too small and the details don't show up well. Not even the official Honda Maintenance Manual is much help.

1994 Accord 2.2L LX AT

Last edited by slickster; 12-31-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added signiture
Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is an alternator overhaul section of the Honda Shop Manual. It is brief and perhaps has one omission. I don't see an explanation of how the brushes are installed on to the slip ring. It may be simple and obvious, but some alternators require pinning the brushes in retracted position to enable assembly.

Suggest downloading the 94-97 Accord Manual from Online Manuals links in DIY forum.

I've looked at this option and found parts cost was too high. It's easier to just buy a used alternator for <$25. Check car-part.com or ebay (usually higher cost).

good luck

Old 01-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

When I used to have my 1995 Accord EX, I bought the brush; but, never got around to ever needing to replace it.

The factory service manual doesn't show the procedure; but, the Chilton manual showed it. I no longer have the Chilton manual, gave it away along with my car to my nephew.

IIRC, the procedure was pretty much like in this link:

forums.acuralegend.org/alternator-brush-replacement-t144.html?

Here is an actual picture of the alternator brush for the 5th gen Accord, which I still have (saving it, just in case I need to replace for my nephew).

Attached Thumbnails 1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly-alternator-brush.jpg   1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly-brush-part-number.jpg  
Old 01-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Angry 1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
There is an alternator overhaul section of the Honda Shop Manual. It is brief and perhaps has one omission. I don't see an explanation of how the brushes are installed on to the slip ring. It may be simple and obvious, but some alternators require pinning the brushes in retracted position to enable assembly.

Suggest downloading the 94-97 Accord Manual from Online Manuals links in DIY forum.

I've looked at this option and found parts cost was too high. It's easier to just buy a used alternator for <$25. Check car-part.com or ebay (usually higher cost).

good luck
I do have the 1994 Accord Service Manual (1st Ed) from Helms but that only addresses the issue with removed alternator. I guess based on that, I could figure out how to replace only the brush assembly in a removed alternator. But I am only interested doing it myself if I could do it while the alternator is in place. Looking at it superficially, it might be doable but I don't know what pitfalls I might get myself into without asking around if anybody has done it and how hard it would be. There is just too much work involved removing the alternator, especially since I would have to remove the power steering pump first to get to it. Then all the belt tensioning, etc. that would be over my head, I'm afraid. Not to mention the busted knuckles.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly

Originally Posted by redbull-1
When I used to have my 1995 Accord EX, I bought the brush; but, never got around to ever needing to replace it.

The factory service manual doesn't show the procedure; but, the Chilton manual showed it. I no longer have the Chilton manual, gave it away along with my car to my nephew.

IIRC, the procedure was pretty much like in this link:

forums.acuralegend.org/alternator-brush-replacement-t144.html?

Here is an actual picture of the alternator brush for the 5th gen Accord, which I still have (saving it, just in case I need to replace for my nephew).
I might get a hold of a Chilton manual and take a look. Unfortunately your example also shows the procedure with a removed alternator which is not what I am after. I wish this problem didn't just pop up right before the New Year's Day weekend when you can't find a shop open. This also means that the accumulated work during such weekend will keep mechanics busy for much of the next week as well.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

On my 95 accord, you don't need to remove the PS pump to remove the alternator. I had to move around the PS fluid reservoir to get at the bolt. The alternator is held in by 3 bolts, and the alternator pivots to apply tension to the belt.

I think that you should be able to access the brush assembly with the alternator on the car. See if you can access the screws securing the cover of the brush assembly.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't know how your '95 Accord differs from my '94 LX, but you might compare it by looking at these two pics.

On the first pic you see the power steering pump above the alternator:

The second pic shows the back cover of the alternator:

Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Its the same as my accord. You can remove the alternator and keep the PS pump in place. I circled the two bolts that you can see in red. The arrow is pointing in the general direction of the third and is attached to the tension part of the alternator.

I think that you can unplug the electrical connector, then remove those brass bolts then remove the back cover to access the brush assembly. The green circle is where the brush assembly is located.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly-alternator.jpg  
Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for those clarifications, PAhonda. I'm thinking that leaving the alternator in place and removing just the back cover might be as easy (or difficult) as removing the alternator itself while leaving the power steering pump in place. I still have some hesitation about it though because I'm not sure how hard it is to place new brushes in with their pressed springs in place. Do you know if replacing the entire brush assembly with a new one (instead of just the brushes) would make the worry about the springs moot?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question 1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly

I forgot to ask you about something else, PAhonda ...
That big rubber boot is supposedly covering a 4-Prong connector. How do you remove it? It does not look like you could peel that boot off the connector. Only the smaller boot looks peelable to me.
I think I might be able to get to those 8mm nuts without removing the alternator but I can't figure out this 4-P connector.

Quick Reply: 1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly