General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

You should be able to pull back that rubber boot to release that electrical connector.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Suggest downloading the 94-97 Accord Manual from Online Manuals links in DIY forum.
I've been looking all over for such a link in the DIY forum but could not find it. Can you copy the link here?
Thanks.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ead.php?t=4597

The spooner link in this thread has it. Is is called Accord 1994 CD7 CD9 USDM JDM Service Manual

Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly

Thanks for the manual download links. I'll see if any of those has more detailed info than my Helms Service Manual.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs up Completed: Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You should be able to pull back that rubber boot to release that electrical connector.
You were right; it was easier than I thought and thanks to your help and that of others I was finally able to finish the brush replacement successfully. The only difficult -- and I mean *really difficult* -- part of the job was to install the new assembly with retracted brushes. Eventually I had to improvise a special tool just for that. The alternator is now charging non-stop whenever the car is running.

Here is the picture of the alternator with the back cover and the old brush assembly removed:

You might notice a minor corrosion on the 4-prong connector that resembles what you can often see on battery terminals. Unfortunately this one is not as easy to clean as the battery though.

Here is a picture of the old and new brush assemblies for comparison. As you see the old brushes were really worn down:

Oh, and thanks for the downloadable manual links as well. For me the really useful part was the supplement because the main manual I have is the same one as the one at those links.

So thanks again to all of you who contributed to this thread.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:22 PM

So which part of the brush that was difficult to install? The pic of the new brush, are those graphite component suppose to be pushed down?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by slickster
You were right; it was easier than I thought and thanks to your help and that of others I was finally able to finish the brush replacement successfully. The only difficult -- and I mean *really difficult* -- part of the job was to install the new assembly with retracted brushes. Eventually I had to improvise a special tool just for that. The alternator is now charging non-stop whenever the car is running.

Here is the picture of the alternator with the back cover and the old brush assembly removed:

You might notice a minor corrosion on the 4-prong connector that resembles what you can often see on battery terminals. Unfortunately this one is not as easy to clean as the battery though.

Here is a picture of the old and new brush assemblies for comparison. As you see the old brushes were really worn down:

Oh, and thanks for the downloadable manual links as well. For me the really useful part was the supplement because the main manual I have is the same one as the one at those links.

So thanks again to all of you who contributed to this thread.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Originally Posted by Bad_dude
So which part of the brush that was difficult to install? The pic of the new brush, are those graphite component suppose to be pushed down?
Thanks.
Those two graphite brushes were needed to be retracted for the assembly before slipping the brush assembly over the brass rings. Each of the brushes is supposed to contact one of the rings for the current to be transferred to the rotor's electro-magnet. The brushes are spring-loaded to provide sufficient friction against the brass rings.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Question

Those two graphite brushes were needed to be retracted for the assembly before slipping the brush assembly over the brass rings. Each of the brushes is supposed to contact one of the rings for the current to be transferred to the rotor's electro-magnet. The brushes are spring-loaded to provide sufficient friction against the brass rings.
Thanks. So would you push them down to install onto the brass ring? I saw the one video online but that alternator brush installation is different than Hondas. So any tip?
Thanks.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Post 1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly

Yes, you do push in those two brushes somehow temporarily into the brown cube of the brush assembly in order to be able to slip the whole thing on rotor's slip rings. What might help you is a piece of thin-wall tube that could hold the brushes pushed in while you install the assembly. Then you pull the tube out and screw in the two Philips head screws that secure the brush assembly. You might think of some other temporary tool that would do the job, such as a U shaped metal piece. You can't do that with your fingers alone.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Question

How much room do I have to put something in to hold it down? Would a toothpick works?
Thanks.

Yes, you do push in those two brushes somehow temporarily into the brown cube of the brush assembly in order to be able to slip the whole thing on rotor's slip rings. What might help you is a piece of thin-wall tube that could hold the brushes pushed in while you install the assembly. Then you pull the tube out and screw in the two Philips head screws that secure the brush assembly. You might think of some other temporary tool that would do the job, such as a U shaped metal piece. You can't do that with your fingers alone.

Quick Reply: 1994 Accord LX Alternator Brush Assembly