General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 - alternator not charging consistently

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Default 1994 - alternator not charging consistently

I have a 94 accord. I can drive this car for miles, sometimes days, with everything cranking and no problems then suddenly the lights dim, the guages go haywire, something below the glovebox will start clicking and eventually the battery will die

What I've done

New battery
New denso alternator
New ground cables
Cut the green connector off the four little alternator wires and put four single connectors to assure good connection

I'm running out of ideas
Anybody ever had this problem?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

I would check for engine codes. There is a link in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for checking engine codes, if you haven't done this before.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM

I was searching through old threads and this guy seemed to have the same symptoms. Said he replaced a relay. I was wondering if anyone knew what the relay would be called? His was a 91 while mines a 94

the saga continues. I downloaded the manuals recommended above. after pouring over them i found that there are four things that control or affect the alternator output.
the regulator in the alternator
the ECL in the under hood fuse box
the Integrated Control Unit above the fuse box behind the drivers side kick panel
and finaly a small 4 wire relay located above the glove box on the right side of the car.
Well I pulled the relay and it tested bad. no ohms or continuity. took it to the auto parts store they had no listing at Advance or NAPA..local store called Bumper to Bumper had one on the shelf. Bingo everything is fine YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Thanks for the help guys. I love forums.....

I will have to see about the codes. I have not done that yet. Thx u

Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Does your battery light turn on when you first turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car?

Does the battery light turn on when the car is not charging the battery?

I don't see a relay in the wiring diagram.

There are five wires going to the alternator. The green plug has four wires an the fifth is bolted to the alternator. You may want to test each wire to see if something is missing. That information is listed in the shop manual. Go to the common diy thread and click on the online shop manuals link. From there click on honda tech link, and you can get the 94 shop manual.

Another idea would be to get some whiteout. Draw a line from the crankshaft bolt to the edge of the crank pulley. Drive the car a while and check that the line is straight. That crank pulley is really two metal pulleys (an outer and inner) with a rubber piece between them. The rubber could have come apart and not deliver power to the alternator. It is a longshot, but simple enough to try.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM

Well the longshots not quite so much of a longshot anymore. I started the car and looked down at the pulley. It was rocking back and forth ever so slightly. I revved the motor and the power steering pump pulley n belt was flat getting it but, the alt belt was still moving at idle speed even when revving the engine. I put a white mean streak on the pulley. I could then see the difference between the inner and outer parts of the pulley separated by the rubber. I'm getting it replaced along with the timing belt since it was getting close to 100000mls. Hopefully this will fix my problems. Thank you for the responses. I will update after the repair.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:27 PM
Default Alternator relay

Originally Posted by adamc44
I was searching through old threads and this guy seemed to have the same symptoms. Said he replaced a relay. I was wondering if anyone knew what the relay would be called? His was a 91 while mines a 94

the saga continues. I downloaded the manuals recommended above. after pouring over them i found that there are four things that control or affect the alternator output.
the regulator in the alternator
the ECL in the under hood fuse box
the Integrated Control Unit above the fuse box behind the drivers side kick panel
and finaly a small 4 wire relay located above the glove box on the right side of the car.
Well I pulled the relay and it tested bad. no ohms or continuity. took it to the auto parts store they had no listing at Advance or NAPA..local store called Bumper to Bumper had one on the shelf. Bingo everything is fine YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Thanks for the help guys. I love forums.....

I will have to see about the codes. I have not done that yet. Thx u

I know this thread is old but it may solve my same issue. Do you have a part number for that small relay? I'm having the exact symptoms you stated with my 94 accord as well. 277k Thanks!