General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 honda accord, rough idle, power loss

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Default 1994 honda accord, rough idle, power loss

I have a 1994 honda accord, manual transmission.

I recently had the timing belt, water pump and belts changed (about 2 months).

now I don't drive this a lot, but I was going 60 on the freeway when I suddenly had a power loss. I pulled over and shut down. I could restart and it would run run for a little, albeit roughly.

NO CODES indicated at all

I replaced the wires and the plugs, checked spark, checked compression all is good. I noticed the oil sensor was unplugged and replugged it. It does have oil. I removed a hose from the IAC valve to see if there was a vacumn and then it won't start unless I hold the peddle to the metal. I am getting a lot of backflow out the air filter too.

That said I am gassing the plugs when I do that. Also,

I loosened the extension between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic convertor thinking maybe I had a plugged convertor. Still not starting.

Any ideas?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest following checks:

Timing - Check that Crankshaft TDC and camshaft TDC are aligned. You will need to remove the upper timing belt cover to see alignment mark on camshaft sprocket. A horizontal mark on the front of engine side of the sprocket should align w/ the top edge of rear side of timing belt cover attached to engine.

Check for large vacuum leak; PCV, brake booster, ejected forward balance shaft seal (massive oil leak would accompany this failure).

Check fuel pressure w/ engine off by turning keyswitch to On for 5 secs, then off. Wait 30 secs and crack banjo bolt on fuel rail. You should get a powerful spray of fuel (40 psi pressure). If no spray, fuel is leaking somewhere.

Check distributor cap and rotor for cracks which could short spark to ground.

good luck