General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 honda accord shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 AM
shalian
Unregistered
Default 1994 honda accord shuts off

hi everyone

i have a 1994 honda accord lx. when i start it up, occasionally it will shut down quickly. it turns over on the 2nd attempt but the problem is really annoying and intermittent. has anyone had this issue? i'm hoping this is a minor problem, but i need an honest answer from those who know....thanks much

Old 06-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1994 honda accord shuts off

Describe in more detail what happens when it shuts down quickly.

More specifically, does the car seem catch and fire up? Does it turn off as soon as you release the key to the II position? What happens when it stalls? Does the engine just die or does the engine sputter for a few seconds? Does the tachometer immediately drop to zero and lose power to instrument panel?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:52 PM
shalian
Unregistered

sorry for not adding more details...fortunately (and unfortunately) this is a car i have been test driving and seriously considering purchasing from a private buyer (not dealership). i;m a girl so im not too mechanic-savy...so i'll try my best to explain: basically, as i am moving in reverse to back out the car will shut off, it is in the 3 "start/on " position... it just dies no sputter or anything. the tachometeer drops to zero like it would if the cars was off. the owner said he was going to have it looked at and the outcome is this, he says his mechanic says the car needs a new water pump. the distributer (i'm assuming) is shutting the car off because it's not cooling down the engine. the owner says he will fix it but i'm kinda skeptical now.. so i guess my 2 questions are: is it worth the investmen, it seems to me that routine maintenance wasn't done? I do know that the water pump and timing belt need to be replaced as general maintenance.would a faulty water pump cause the car to shut off quickly?

Old 06-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

A bad water pump would not cause the engine to stall, so this is not your problem. A bad water pump would cause the engine to overheat and loose coolant (if leaking).

As for maintenance, find out when the timing belt/water pump were replaced. They should be replaced every 90K miles or 6 years. Also find out when the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor were changed.

Does the check engine light turn on after you get the car started when it stalls? You should check for check engine codes. It is very easy to do. Here is a link with detailed instructions: http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html All you need is to bend a thin paper clip in the shape of a U to short that two pin connector. Turn the key to the II (running) position without starting the car and count the check engine light flashes. It takes a total of 5 minutes and very little mechanical skill. If any codes are stored on the ECU, it can help pinpoint a problem.

One other thing to do is pay attention to what happens when you put the key in the ignition and you turn it to the II position. You will hear a series of clicks and the check engine light will turn on for a couple of seconds then turn off. When the car stalls, just put the car into park and don't touch the key. If you hear the clicks (like you just turned the key to the II position), then the electrical portion of the ignition switch is the likely culprit and needs replaced.