General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 Accord D4 Blinking Lights - Multiple Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Default 1995 Accord D4 Blinking Lights - Multiple Codes

Hi,

Thanks for this site. Great stuff.

I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX Sedan 4 Speed Automatic Transmission. Its VIN indicates that it was made in Japan. It has over 220,000 miles on it. Drives beautifully, till now!

A few days ago I cranked up the car and it started normally. Changed the Shift to 'D4' and then turned on the AC, about to drive. AC turned on normally. But I realized that I had forgotten to pick up something and so I changed the Shift back to 'P' and the car went dead. I was not able to start the car again. It cranks just fine, but does not start. I then noticed that the D4 light kept blinking.

Based on the posts on this site, I retrieved the OBD codes manually. One of the post recommended clearing the codes by removing the 7.5 Fuse for the backup radio, which I did. I also removed the -ve battery cables for about 15 mins to clear any memory (though not sure if it helps).

So when I retrieved the codes I got the following:

1 8 13 and 14.

The Engine Check Light is a steady yellow.

I have a previous SRS problem that I have not fixed yet. When I did the above test, the SRS light on the dashboard was also blinking.

There were other posts on this site that suggested that this condition is due to a faulty ECM.

My question is, if this a certain diagnosis? Or can I do anything else to confirm before I purchase a new/used part.

If I removed the ECM, can I do any basic functional test with a multimeter to confirm that it is faulty.

Also is it safe for me to change the ECM myself? I can do a number of basic jobs (like changing light bulbs, etc.) but I am no mechanic and I don't have any sophisticated tools.

I also did try and read other posts as many as I could. But I may have missed something out. So please do direct me to another post if this problem is already covered.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.