General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Honda Accord just WON'T START...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Exclamation 1995 Honda Accord just WON'T START...!!!

1995 Honda Accord LX automatic transmission

The car had oil leaked into the spark plug valves(tried to start it but wouldn't even turn over), so I cleaned out the valves(with brake cleaner), the valve cover, got new gasket seals(upper & lower), new spark plugs; drained the oil, put about 4 quarts of new oil... so I started the car but it didn't turn over. Then my neighbor comes up and knocks on the starter, and the Accord started(didn't hear anything out of the ordinary from the engine). Left it on for a good 'ol 30 minutes, drove it around a couple of blocks, parked and turned it off. I turn it back on and NOTHING. No cranking, just the *tick*. Thinking it was the starter so I decided to buy a new one; put in the new part and still nothing. Called up my brother; did a OBD1 check(8 blinks from the check engine light) code for 8 TDC - top dead centre sensor came up; got a new distributor and still NOTHING. Check the new spark plugs and sure enough it was wet with oil on top. I guess the leak to the spark plug valves was sealed, but the top of the spark plugs had oil on them. Cleaned off the oil from the plugs, turned the key over and.... NOTHIN! not sure if I have to get new plugs again, or have someone(or the Honda dealer) do a starter diagnosis. Also got new spark plug wires and battery still has a charge of 12.6.

Parts from O'Reilly:
Starter: Ultima - Starter part# 12130
Distributor: Richporter Technology - Distributor part# TD52
Wire Set: OmniSpark - Ignition Wire set part# 9543

Any advice or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

If the starter is not working, then ignore the spark plugs, distributor, etc..

You need to check if you are getting 12V to the small black/white wire going to the starter when you turn the key to the start position inside of the car.

Also, disconnect the battery, and clean all ends of both battery cables.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Sounds good...! update once time permits me to do it.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 AM

I am new to this forum, but just experienced this exact symptom (turn to start, and just get a "click"), and felt compelled to reply.

I fixed this in my 95 Accord LX by installing a new battery. The previous post about checking for voltage when you turn it to "Start" position is a good way to check that everything else is OK, but my money's on the battery. I was lucky, and still had some time left in a 72-month warranty, so a replacement at Wally-world only cost me about $40. (note: Walmart no longer "prorates" their battery warranties, the one I bought came w/ a 3 year free replacement, but after that, nada.)