General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 2.2 4cyl non vtec - P0758 code - Shift Solenoid Value B Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Default 1996 2.2 4cyl non vtec - P0758 code - Shift Solenoid Value B Failure

Ok...Was driving down the road and rpms just started going up and car was barley moving. I was able to limp back to the house, check tranny fluid and didnt seem bad but a little low, added about a pint and it was back up. Started car up and it shifted and drove again just fine. Went down to Autozone and ran the codes. P0758 came up which it says is "shift solenoid value b failure" Now the car is stuck at my office and will only shift into 1st gear and reverse for a little bit and then will not move at all.

Which solenoid is the Value B, Is it one of the upper two solenoids or one of the bottom two solenoids?

Old 09-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Default 1996 2.2 4cyl non vtec - P0758 code - Shift Solenoid Value B Failure

Ok...Was driving down the road and rpms just started going up and car was barley moving. I was able to limp back to the house, check tranny fluid and didnt seem bad but a little low, added about a pint and it was back up. Started car up and it shifted and drove again just fine. Went down to Autozone and ran the codes. P0758 came up which it says is "shift solenoid value b failure" Now the car is stuck at my office and will only shift into 1st gear and reverse for a little bit and then will not move at all.

Which solenoid is the Value B, Is it one of the upper two solenoids or one of the bottom two solenoids?

Old 09-05-2017, 02:58 PM

moved to general...thought i was on that post but was working from my phone..sorry

Old 09-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Shift solenoid A & B are one assembly. They are located on the part of transmission facing the bumper and are lower. There is another assembly that is easy to see and those are the lockup solenoids.

The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to online shop manuals. The 94 accord shop manual you can download is almost identical to your 96, and it shows the location of the solenoids.

The actual problem can be the solenoid, the wiring, or the PCM (engine computer). A quick test is to unplug the electrical connector to the solenoid. Supply 12V to each pin on the solenoid. Each solenoid should click. It is possible that the solenoid is clogged with friction material. Cleaning it out with throttle body cleaner could fix the issue.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:38 PM

I checked voltage to the upper solenoid and had 11.8 but the connection to the lower one which is the one giving the code only had 0.01 which I don't think is good. Must be wiring coming to that point has gone bad. Any other possibilities?

Old 09-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Shift solenoid B will only have power when the green/black wire is supplied power from the PCM (engine/trans computer). Pin B4 on the PCM is the location of the green/black wire. The B-connector on the PCM has 25 possible wires that can go into and looks to have 16 wires. See attached picture of pinout. My 94 shop manual shows the wire color as green/white while the 96 manual says green/black. Just make sure the wire color is the same at the solenoid as at pin B4 on the PCM.

Unplug everything on the PCM. Supply 12V to that green/black wire at pin B4. See if you get a click on shift solenoid B and also measure the voltage on that wire with the solenoid unplugged.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 2.2 4cyl non vtec - P0758 code - Shift Solenoid Value B Failure-untitled.jpg  
Old 09-17-2017, 03:14 PM

I ran direct 12 volt to both solenoids of the lower cluster and both made the click so I retraced the wire back to the firewall and not brakes or issue..guess it must be an issue with the computer then...not sure where to go from here though