General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 PM
timmiegee
Unregistered
Default 1996 Accord

Folks, I am a newbie here. I am really trying to figure out this problem myself instead of spending hundreds at Honda.
I have a Accord LX Coupe, 4 cyl, AT. My daughter drove it for several years, and got a newer Honda, and I got this one back.
For the last 9 months or so, I have either put it, or had put in a new alternator, (4 times), a new battery (under warrenty) 3 times, and continue to have starting problems. Spent a lot of money, and I don't think the shops really diagnosed the problem.

The most recent, my son and I were taking it to gas it up (it was close to empty). He cranked the car twice and it didn't turn start, but turned over with good sound. The third time went dead, nothing. I tried to use a jump relay from one of my other cars, and still nothing.
I took the battery out and recharged it, and placed it back in the car. I turned the key halfway, got lights on the dash, but when I turned to crank it, again nothing, and the battery drained again.
I have been looking everywhere for a possible answer - any suggestions on a start? I checked the fuses, and they are good. Do I work my way back from the starter now?
HELP!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1996 Accord

hmmmm .... I'm thinking that you have a major short .... likely in the power lead from the alternator to the positive battery terminal ..... that could kill the alt.'s. The most recent problem .... could easily be the starter, but it could also be electrical. No car should be killing alts like that