General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Accord ABS brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Default 1996 Accord ABS brakes

Has anyone ever replaced the ABS light on an Accord, the dealer told me the parts are $1500.00 plus labor. Today tried to unplug the dashlist so it will stop showing up, but can't pull the fuse. My car has 170,000 miles on it. Dealer told me it was ok to drive, but unsure, advised me will t ill have brakes. This is all confusing to me.

Can anyone advised me ?

Thanks

Michael

Old 11-24-2005, 11:23 PM
Default RE: 1996 Accord ABS brakes

I meant the ABS modular not the light on the dash itsself.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:46 PM

Well American Honda won't pay for replacement due to mileage, but the dealer offered a discount, the part alone is $1,500.00 so that will have to wait for sure.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

find out if they want to replace the modulator because it leaks,if so, tell them you want them to reseal it ,,,, removing fuses and relays will not stop abs lite from coming on, you need to either repair problem or remove the bulb

Old 12-05-2005, 12:46 AM

Well found out on Friday that this is a common problem for the Accord is the ABS to go out. I have meet anotehr woman at the dealer in Gainesville Friday, she was having the samething done.
Makes me wonder how many more people are having the same problem.

Also tonight the light went out on its own, very strange indeed.

Did a quick stop to test, and seems the ABS is working again.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:40 PM

As of today, the light went out automatically, and seems I have ABS brakes again, this weird to me.

Thanks for letting me post.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:41 AM

Well earlier this week , the light for the ABS came back on, tried adding brake fluid it didn't work. An ymore ideas I would appreciate them.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:11 AM

yea you have an abs problem and you need that part replaced. you can do it yourself for a fraction of the cost that the dealer wants. turning of the light....whichever way you want to do that......will not make the problem go away. your braking system will still work you just wont have abs so when an emergency situation happens, your tires will completely lock up and you may go into a slide. if your not familiar with sliding and or drifting, and maybe even find it enjoyable , its a good idea to get the problem fixed.....we dont want anything bad to happen to you. thats why almost every single car now has ABS because it is just so much safer. when the tires dont lock up, the car can be controlled in a emergency maneuver. you should get it fixed or get a new car.

lightshow

Old 01-19-2006, 07:16 AM

and you said "another woman" i take this to mean that you are also a woman. not being sexist or anything, but outside of you being danica patrick, women are normally not very good at sliding. my gf has abs on her car, and if a problem occured today, it would be fixed yesterday. there is no way i would have her driving a car without abs, it would def be disasterous.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:06 AM

ORIGINAL: MichaelEXL

Well earlier this week , the light for the ABS came back on, tried adding brake fluid it didn't work. An ymore ideas I would appreciate them.
What is the code???? pull the code and post it here ...And i asked this once before why did the dealer say that you need the modulator?? is it leaking ?? If it is because it leaks , Modulators can be resealed ,,,

Quick Reply: 1996 Accord ABS brakes