General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Accord F22B2 no injector pulse

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 11:20 PM
Default 1996 Accord F22B2 no injector pulse

Ok, I'm stumped on where to go from here. Details so far:
1996 Honda Accord LX with the 2.2L F22B2 motor, car is new to me... was a "gift" to my son in law, who knows nothing about auto mechanics and has asked me to help him sort it out. I know the saying, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...".

Car will crank but won't start. If I give it a shot of starter fluid it starts and then dies. So I have checked fuel pressure, checks out fine. Checked spark and timing belt, both are fine. Checked ground on the driver's side of motor, looks good. Checked the injector wiring harnesses/plugs, each of them have 12v at the connector. Pulled the injectors and checked them, they all fire when applying voltage to them. Put all back together and pulled the fuel rail back so the injectors were out, cranked motor, no injector pulsing/gas spray.

Unplugged the wiring at the distributor and ran the cylinder position sensor test, checked out fine, compared to known good distributor, same ohms. Switched out to the known good distributor anyway, still no injector pulse.

So now I am to the point where I'm thinking no pulse command from the ECU. But I don't know how to test for that.

Also, I don't believe the 1996 LX has an immobilizer but I'm not positive on that, how do I tell if it does have one? Does an immobilizer chop the injector pulse or does it do something else (my 2001 Nissan Maxima has one and it also kills the spark)?

So now I turn to you good folks, what do you suggest from here? How can I test the ECU aside from swapping in a known good one? How can I tell if it has an immobilizer?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 04-25-2023, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

No immobilizer on the 96. The PCM pulls the non-red (or red/wht) wire on the injector to ground.

Did you test for voltage with a volt meter or test light on the fuel injector.

Old 04-25-2023, 02:46 PM

I didn't test the ground side. I just used a digital multimeter and verified the "hot" lead at the injectors had 12v.

I figured the PCM just pulses the other line to ground which causes the injector to fire? That's what I don't know how to test.

Dan