General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Accord LE Electrical issues

Old 09-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Lightbulb 1996 Accord LE Electrical issues

Looking for a little direction on what appears to be a strange electrical issue(s), I parked and attempted to lock the car with the remote as usual and typically the horn beeps once but this time it did not beep and it didn't lock but the parking lights flashed as it normally does, I then tried the remote to lock/ unlock the car and it did nothing so I got in the car and tried locking/unlocking the car manually and it wouldn't do anything at all, I left the car til the next day and got in and it started right up and everything was working like it should, I drove the car for a couple weeks and today it acted up again, not starting nor was there any electrical power when I put the key to the first position or the second position and seems to lose all power when I turned it to the start position , trying again I turned the key pushing as far as it could go and holding it til it suddenly started turning and fired up, so what would cause these what I believe is maybe 2 electrical issues? The battery is less than a year old and I checked the cables to make sure they were secure/tight also I cleaned the little bit of corrosion on the terminal that had built up, one thing that happens when this problems surfaces is the clock resets to 1:00 but the radio has not lost any preset stations so far and on a side note the radio works except at times the lights within the radio disappear and come back then they are all messed up etc this has been ongoing with the radio for about a year, but I think that may be just a problem contained with in the radio itself.
Any ideas would be helpful thanks all!

Old 09-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Look under the driver's dash for an aftermarket security system. It should be obvious, because you should see some wires that are out of place.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Look under the driver's dash for an aftermarket security system. It should be obvious, because you should see some wires that are out of place.
Thanks for responding PAhonda ,
When you say aftermarket security system could that be a wireless remote starter? which has been installed in the car for approximately 12 years, so it is not a new addition to the car.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

The remote starter is where I would start. It is setup to electrically bypass some of the ignition switch features to start the engine remotely. A failed component on the remote starter circuit board or a flaky connection could be causing your issues. You'll have to figure out how the unit is wired to the OEM harness to test for missing voltage.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:31 PM

Thank you PAhonda
I will get the remote starter checked out. I did look under the dashboard and noting looked added or out of place.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:35 AM

So interestingly I needed one of my other vehicles to be worked on so I told my mechanic about the Honda issue and he said just bring it over after we finish with your other one, so I decided to do that since I have little time to work on it at the moment anyway his conclusion was that my battery was the issue, he said the battery was 9 years old and that most likely was the cause for the electrical issues, but here is the interesting thing the reason I did not think it was the battery was because I KNOW for a fact that I replaced that battery MYSELF less than 3 or 4 years ago so I ruled that out thinking the battery was not that old also I did not technically own the vehicle until 9/2013, ( it was a family members car , they had bought it new ) so either my mechanic made a mistake? or lied to me? or some time after I put the new battery in someone swamped ( stole ) it out?. There are not many people that have access to my car other than my local Mechanic so I am feeling a bit uneasy with what the truth may be.
Anyway thank you for all your help and I hope the issue itself is resolved!!