General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Accord LX will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 06:45 AM
Default 1996 Accord LX will not start.

So hear's the deal.
I have a manual transmission, four banger '96 Accord LX with about 216,000 miles on it. Haven't had any mechanical issues with it yet except that the clutch is starting to slip.
Got in my car and started it this morning and turned it off less than a minute after to unlock the front door to my sh**y apartment. In less than another minute, I got back in and went to start it. It's turning over like a champ, but not starting. I figured if I roll start it I'll be good. Nah brah. It sounds like it starts to start, but the rpm's just go right back down to zero...
I desperately need some advice here. I was supposed to go to work this morning about an hour and a half away. Boss man says no worries today, but I don't have the cash to pay anyone to fix the problem if it's gonna be over $100 'cause I'm a broke a$$ ****..
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:17 PM

Other than my 94 starts, welcome to my world...
Check for anything obvious under the hood, then see if it's getting fuel and spark.
You can pull a plug, see if it looks wet, ground it and have someone bump the key and look for an arc.
I think the fuel line is just circular clamp on the fuel rail, you can pull that off, bump the key and see if it squirts out or not.
Sorry, no Honda expert here, but cover the basics should lead to the issue.
Someone else will chime in, hopefully this will give you some things to check in the meantime.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Just learned that the timing belt broke..... I was also told that since I cranked the motor and tried to roll start all of the valves are surely bent....

Old 05-26-2016, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

There are a few things you can try.

Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for about two seconds, the fuel pump should turn on for two seconds. The fuel pump makes a whirling/buzzing noise from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc and listen for that noise.

You can also check for engine codes using a piece of wire or a thin paper clip. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link on checking engine codes that should help.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Oops, you posted while I was typing.

The valves are likely bent. It is possible (not likely) that the valves stopped at a point where they didn't get bent. The only way to find out is to install a new timing belt and see how the engine runs.

If the valves are bent, you would have to pull the cylinder head, get it machined and the valves replaced. You may be better off having a low mileage used engine installed and save money. I'm not sure if you are planning on repairing the car or getting a different vehicle.