General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 accord 2.2L auto - shifting issue-vss code

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Default 1997 accord 2.2L auto - shifting issue-vss code

I have a 1997 Honda Accord (value package) that is shifting funny. Sometimes it shifts hard, other times not. Around a right corner with no stop, it gets confused on which gear it is supposed to be in (or so it seems) and drops down then back up. Straight line acceleration and deceleration only shows the hard shifting issue, not the confusion on gears.

The scanner threw this code: P0175 (Vehicle Speed Sensor input circuit, I believe). I replaced the VSS and the problem persisted, the code remained. I am now looking at the problem perhaps being the transmission speed sensor.

I am trying to sell the car before I go to Europe in 2 weeks and I am afraid that potential buyers will think the transmission is going bad.

Any idea what I could look into? Your advice is much appreciated!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jessedavid
I have a 1997 Honda Accord (value package) that is shifting funny. Sometimes it shifts hard, other times not. Around a right corner with no stop, it gets confused on which gear it is supposed to be in (or so it seems) and drops down then back up. Straight line acceleration and deceleration only shows the hard shifting issue, not the confusion on gears.

The scanner threw this code: P0175 (Vehicle Speed Sensor input circuit, I believe). I replaced the VSS and the problem persisted, the code remained. I am now looking at the problem perhaps being the transmission speed sensor.

I am trying to sell the car before I go to Europe in 2 weeks and I am afraid that potential buyers will think the transmission is going bad.

Any idea what I could look into? Your advice is much appreciated!!!
A P0175 is not for the VSS.

Me, drain and fill the trans with Honda Trans fluid - at least one drain and fill. Check the throttle control cable for proper adjustment/movement.

Is this a 4 or 6 cyl?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. It is a 4cyl.

I'll definitely try the trans fluid. Any idea if the p0175 code may be related? I am certain that the code, according to the scanner, had to do with the VSS circuit in some way. However there was confusion with that code when looking for parts at auto zone.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

OBD-II codes are universal. Meaning that is does not matter if the car is a Ford, Honda, Chevy or Kia. The code is the same.

So google P0175 and see what comes back........

And one more added thing to look at/inspect - the front motor mount, between the rad and engine, be sure it is ok.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure that P0999 and lower codes are universal (which includes P0175). Anything with a higher number P1xxx or P2xxx are the ones that are specific to the brand of car.

Even with the universal codes, the actual diagnosis & troubleshooting can be very different from one car to another.