General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Accord Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM
dmoore9396
Unregistered
Default 1997 Accord Noise

Just bought used for my son from a used car dealer. 2.2L Vtec, auto, 116K miles. Seems to have been very well maintained.

I hear a noise during acceleration similar to valve noise - or like a card in a bicycle spoke. Gets faster as revs get higher. Fades after about 35 MPH. Not present when revving in neutral or park. May be perfectly normal, I've never owned a Honda before.

Also, shifts are rather abrupt. Not severe, but not smooth at all.

Tranny fluid is full and looks good. I don't know if it is Honda ATF in there. I've read that can make a difference.

All other fluids are full and look new.

Thanks for any help.

-D

Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Noise may be normal. I had a 97 Acura 2.2CL w/ same engine and it made a "rattling" sound under moderate/heavy acceleration. I only noticed in low gear and never at highway speeds. Never did run it to ground, but my daughter put almost 100K miles on car before trading it in recently. Noise could be a catalytic converter heat shield or engine heat shield that resonates at certain engine speed/load/temperature.

I have a 94EX and I would describe the shifts as abrupt, but not rough. If there is a noticeable Jerk, you may need to adjust the transmission throttle linkage. This is described in Honda Shop Manual which you can download from Online Manuals links under DIY forum. I would drain/replace the trans fluid w/ Honda ATF. It does seem to make a difference, and you don't know how long the current fluid has been in place.

good luck

Old 04-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW; Those transmissions shift under positive pressure not at all like the GM mush shift.
The reason is that with the clutch pack engaging under pressure there is less wear on the clutch discs.
Ironically in 98,due to american consumer demand, the trans was changed to that mushy shift and Honda had recalls and extended warranty for the next 4 years.
1997 was really the last year of the great hondas.....in 1998 the "Product Cheapening Dept" took over the company and bowed to any demand consumers made to JD Powers.

The rattle noise might be a little bit of piston slap, usually loudest under light accelleration and not so loud under heavy accelleration.
I suggest you check the oil weekly for the first few months you own the car.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:26 PM
dmoore9396
Unregistered

Thanks for the help all. I just bought 4 quarts of Honda ATF and will change it immediately. Otherwise, I will just be prudent and keep a close watch on everything.

-D

Old 04-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Using Honda ATF is highly reccomended from people I talked to.
My 97 Accord, 2.2L non vtech, 4 speed automatic only takes 3 qts and that puts it just a little above the full mark when hot. You might want to double check the fluid capacity.

Also I had a 94 Accord, AT Vtech and now own a 97 and they both shift a little harsh a times which is normal.

JM

Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
speedfreak_josh
Unregistered

If it sounds like valves and you know that sound, you could very likely have valves that need adjustment. I have a gen5 and mine is the same way.
It could be carbon build-up, but I'm betting on valves.