General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 DX AC Discharge Hose Burst

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1997 DX AC Discharge Hose Burst

We were driving yesterday wit AC blowing cold, then , pooof, whooosh, blown out discharge hose, and oil spray over inside of hood. We turned the AC off right away - I'm sure compressor is still as fine as ever. I want to get this back functional, immediately (today), to get me through Memorial day (at which time I'll be getting a 2005 Accord with a sweet 70K miles on her).

So, last night, I picked up a new hose for $40 and threw it on right away quickly (and did not replace dryer).

I realize. its not just R/R, so I needed to think through the recharge.
Heres what I'm thinking - please validate, knowing I want to have it good by tomorrow and it needs to last (at least just) a few weeks.

1st) I was gonna draw a vacuum with the (good or bad) Har B Fright compressor attached vacuum pump. (thats all I have)

2nd) From charts I've seen of where the oil is distributed, I'm guessing I lost, maybe 2oz and was gonna use an aerosol can do deliver that into the vaccumed down system.

3rd) Then I was gonna fill with the DIY cans/guage that game from WallyWorld, following instructions on the can (as I've often done before) (that's all I have too)

Think that will get me through for a few weeks ?

Thanks...

Old 05-15-2016, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Its not a bad plan. I'd suggest pulling a vacuum for 30 minutes to an hour. I'd recommend you use a manifold to monitor the pressure (maybe the parts stores have them as loaner tools?). You want to make sure the system holds the vacuum (around -30 psi, I think), because that indicates no leaks. I wait at least an hour to verify I have no vacuum loss (aka no leaks).

To charge an empty system, I'd add the proper weight of R-134a in oz, so you don't have to monitor pressures. There should be a sticker under the hood or in the driver's door jamb. I am pretty sure the charge is 22.9 oz +/- 1.8 oz, so buy one or two cans that total 23 oz. Then you just have to add both cans and not worry about over/under charging.

You can also add the lower number of oz (21 oz) then have an a/c shop test and add R-134a until it gets to the proper pressures.