General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Honda Accord Value Package - cold start issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Exclamation 1997 Honda Accord Value Package - cold start issues

I own a 97 Honda Accord Value Package with 173,000 miles. I've had no problems with it until this past year. When it gets cold, i put the key in and turn it to ON for a few minutes, then i try to start the car. The first time, it just cranks and cranks for a second, then i return the key to the OFF position, then back to the ON position for the 6 LOUD beeps, then attempt to start it again. This time, it will turn over, but quickly dies. I repeat the OFF/ON/6 beeps/START routine again. It turns over for a split second, then dies. It does this for 5-10 minutes, then it will finally choke like hell, then it will start.

The thing is, once it's started for the day, i have no more problems out of it until it's sat overnight. The warmer it is, the easier it starts.

I'm tempted to replace the fuel pump, but I don't think this is the problem. I've been to a lot of forums, and all of them say to check the relay. My problem with that is, 1) the LOUD *** BEEPS prevent me from hearing anything, and 2) it's so cold that i'm shaking, so feeling the clicks is impossible for me.

Could my ECT sensor have anything to do with this?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Normally, a failed ECT sensor will make the controller think the engine is cold, even after it's warmed up. So it starts OK but runs real rich after it warms up.

Try turning the key to ON & only waiting 1 or 2 seconds before starting. Not "a few minutes". The fuel pump runs for 2 seconds then quits, so you want to allow it to pressurize the fuel system but don't wait for it to quit.

How old are your sparkplugs?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 AM

I just changed them about a month ago.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 AM

The only reason i asked about my ECT sensor is because I've read quite a bit that the ECTS could be the problem, and considering my dad broke mine off while we were replacing a heater hose and i haven't had it tapped out yet, i was thinking that could have something to do with it.

smh.. if only he'd let me do it. lol.