General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997- Loss of Steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:55 PM
Default 1997- Loss of Steering

I just bought my 17 year old daughter her first car. Upon purchasing, got about 3 miles away and steering wheel turned although, wheels did not. I gratefully, was driving at the time. Drove fine the next 40 miles. Have not drove since. In my research I have not seen any posts with the same complaint. I am well versed in Diesel Mechanics unfortunately not the Honda steering/suspension system. I am leaning towards the rack and pinion? I do not have a lot of money to repair so I am just looking for information on similar issues so that I can do the most cost effective repair. My daughter starts her job next week and this is her mode of transportation but I need to know she is safe. Any info or opinions is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:14 AM

well, you made it home. when you say you turned wheel but car did not change direction, how much are you talking about? we all make constant steering corrections. but if i had a brand new (used) car and a major steering wheel turn resulted in no change i would hit the brakes. steering loss does not fix itself.
the steering wheel is connected to rack thru u-joints. they do get loose and make noise but they dont break and than heal themselves.
the power steering pump can be faulty. dirty fluid? loss of pressure assist? but you would feel very stiff steering. but the wheels would still turn
a busted rack mounts? whew. thats not good. the rack can shift left/right but you would almost certainly figure that out.

Last edited by Cavell; 06-27-2017 at 10:17 AM.