General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 . 2.3 vtec .P0300 and p0302

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1998 . 2.3 vtec .P0300 and p0302

I am getting frustrated at this moment.Bought this Accord 3 months ago.I just finished fixing a long overheating problem and now this.For the past 2 months I have been getting p0302.It's getting colder and getting harder to crank this car.When it's worse it throws code p030,0 and then the check engine light starts to flash.When I shut it off and crank it back up, the light stops flashing and stays constant.I first changed the plugs with NGK and that duralast cheap wires from Advanced Auto parts .It didnt solve it.I did a compression test, and which it passed.I cleaned out the egr and it's deposits.I even cleaned out the IAC.To no avail.
I was beginning to think injectos , but from research, these rarely go bad.I have only seen one person change their injectors on youtube
This is what it's currently doing.................Early in the morning and when it's cold, cranks for about 10 sec before it starts and when it starts, it misses.When it clears up it drives normal without a miss.I shut it off and wait about an hr and I am back to square one without a hard to start issue.Mind you, the car idles normal , except for early morning starts and when it is left for about an hr
My question is, has anyone had problems with Advance Auto parts Duralast Lifetime wires.These are the only wires I have used on this car and I have done it twice.
What are the resistance sp[ecs on the OEM wires.This issue happened to me on my corrolla.Bought a bad new wires from ebay

Old 11-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry, I meant Duralast wires from Autozone

Old 11-15-2018, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Maximum 25 k-ohms at 68 deg.F.

But resistance is only one of the ways for sparkplug wires to fail. Try a cold-start in complete darkness, & look for arcing or any kind of blue glow around the wires. That would indicate insulation failing, even if the resistance is OK.

Honda plug wires have always seemed to last forever, so maybe consider buying those.

Years ago my brother had troubles with arc tracks across the surface of his distributor cap. It wasn't a Honda, but still the same. Once you get an arc, that track is etched into the surface of the distributor cap & it'll always arc easier in the future. New distributor cap is the fix.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Maximum 25 k-ohms at 68 deg.F.

But resistance is only one of the ways for sparkplug wires to fail. Try a cold-start in complete darkness, & look for arcing or any kind of blue glow around the wires. That would indicate insulation failing, even if the resistance is OK.

Honda plug wires have always seemed to last forever, so maybe consider buying those.

Years ago my brother had troubles with arc tracks across the surface of his distributor cap. It wasn't a Honda, but still the same. Once you get an arc, that track is etched into the surface of the distributor cap & it'll always arc easier in the future. New distributor cap is the fix.
68k ohms on the high side and what's the low side?In the morning I am going to Advanced Auto parts to do a resistance measurement on their new one, and before I purchase.I will compare those figures from the old ones from Auto zone.This will give me a clue.Got to be the plug wires.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

The shop manual I have doesn't list any minimum.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I think I fixed my problem.I checked on the ohms of the existing plug wires and there is a fluctuation between 2 of them.I maybe wrong with this theory but v/r equals current ..The higher the resistance the lower the current.I have higher impedance within the old Autozone wires(one month old) .2 of the wires are way off from the other two in resistance.
I purchased NGK from Advanced.I wouldnt know if it fixed it until tomorrow morning.My issue was early cold mornings.Never again will I purchase anything from Autozone.