General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Accord Automatic Transmission Fluid

Old 05-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Smile 1998 Accord Automatic Transmission Fluid

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this but I just bought a beautiful green EX accord and wanted to know which brand of tranny fluid I should use to do a drain and fill. Can I use regular ol Honda Genuine sold in many parts stores? I

Old 05-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Your thread has been moved. Please do not post help questions in the DIY section, as it is no longer used for that purpose.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info

Old 05-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Honda ATF is general consensus recommendation. I just bought a case for my Acuras and Hondas. Scored a case for $76 delivered to my door!

good luck

Old 05-24-2015, 02:59 PM

I'd just stick with Honda ATF. I've heard some people recommend Red Line at local places but then, Red Line is locally produced. Personally, from experience I'd stick with what the manufacturer recommends for one simple reason: the wrong ATF can do some major damage to a transmission. I've seen it up close and in person. An individual I worked with filled a transmission with Dextron III when it called for an ATF we didn't have in stock. It took a few weeks but the vehicle returned to our shop with no drive in any gear. Not forward, not reverse. When we dropped the transmission and tore into the clutch packs, not a single disc still had friction material attached. The bonding agent was dissolved by the Dextron III and all the friction discs had to be replaced. I don't remember what the cost was but I know it was expensive before our labor was included. I imagine the end cost was probably more than the car was even worth. Just waiting a couple of hours or even a day for delivery of the proper fluid could have prevented all of that but the customer was impatient and insisted that we could use any ATF we had in stock. Since the customer was insistent our boss refused to honor any kind of good will warranty of the work performed. I guess my co-worker could have used another ATF we stocked but Dextron was the most plentiful so he used it. Expensive lesson to learn, but lesson learned none the less......sean