General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Accord, clicking sound only while cruise is on

Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 AM
JAHokie46
Unregistered
Default 1998 Accord, clicking sound only while cruise is on

Hi folks, first post here after trying to google the problem I'm having.

1998 Accord (LX I think) coupe 4 cylinder VTEC, 148K miles, AT.

First, my check engine light has been on/off for the last few weeks. It came on, stayed on for a week, then went off for a week, now it's on again for another week. I haven't noticed anything wrong, except maybe the clicking. I don't know if this is related to the problem or not though. I haven't checked the code b/c last I did at autozone/advanced they said "O2 sensor". So I replaced both, still had problems, took it to a repair place who said the prob was catalytic converted and fixed it. I'm not sure whether to try autozone again or just pay $70 at the Honda dealership.

Anyway, the clicking is a constant 'click click click' only while cruise is on. The second I cancel, it goes away. It's not very loud, it's a little hard to hear at 45mph and at 65 I've got to lean towards the dash with the radio off to barely hear it. I can't tell if it's coming from the engine or if it's electrical in the steering column/dash. Cruise works fine, I just don't know if this is normal or if it's a problem. I can't recall that I've noticed it before because 99% of the time I have the radio on and wouldn't have heard it anyway. I know very little about cars but hope the folks here might be able to help. Thanks in advance!!! [/align]

Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1998 Accord, clicking sound only while cruise is on

As for the CEL coming on and off, I've heard of people stating these symptoms when their catalytic converter was burning out; but you state you've "fixed that" so I'm not sure... Best deal would be to get it read again, and as a safe bet never assume your last problem is your current problem.. AKA, go get it read!!!

As for the clicking, you say you can't find it but it happens when the cruise control is enabled... does it do it JUST when it's enabled, or when it's keeping speed?

I had an 86 4Runner with cruise control (wild huh?) and it went out, and would make a hum/click noise when i engaged it, regardless of it keeping speed. turned out a relay and capacitor were bad inside so I just unplugged it to avoid draining any power from my engine.

Check to see if while you have the CC enabled if you can hear anything from the cruise control unit (i haven't the foggiest where it is on the accords yet, but i haven't looked).

With the way you describe how you can barely hear it it sounds like it's coming from a smaller component in your engine bay (the cruise control unit is my guess of course) and the wind noise is dampening the sound dramatically... I would suspect that if it were your engine were making the noise it would only get louder as you sped up. And for the steering column, that (afaik) doesn't have any relation to the cruise control unless there's a bad relay or something along the path?

That's my 2 cents from an older non-similar vehicle, but I hope it helps in SOME way.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 AM
JAHokie46
Unregistered

Thanks a bunch klrspz. Yes, the catalytic converter was replaced at about 110K miles, about 15 months ago. I'll go ahead and have the code checked at an autozone/advanced tonight on my way home from work.

The clicking only happens when cruise is set. I pretty much keep the on/off button on the left dash on. So I only use the steering wheel controls to "set" and keep speed and either hit "cancel" or brake until I "set" it again. But it only makes the sound while it's "set". It starts the second I set it and stops the second I cancel or brake. It sort of sounds like clock ticking, except the ticking is about twice the speed of a clock, a couple of ticks per second.

I know very little about cars, so checking relays and capacitors is something I"d have no clue how to do. Hopefull it should be a small "testing/diagnosis" at a local auto shop.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah i'm not too familiar with cruise control systems and i hear they're pretty complicated in the scheme of things (i'm not sure to what detail)...

i have to also consider my CC unit was realllllly old (21 years to date), after-market (afaik) and could work completely different... it was also pretty loud considering it was 8x5 inches (pretty big in the engine bay and easy to spot) and didn't actually have a cancel button.. it seemed to be working all the time, and only altered your speed when you set it.. so again, i really don't have a clue but just throwing something out there.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 PM

the cruise control bracket is making noise. it's transferring noise from the actuator to the chassis. the noise is just an annoyance, it doesn't affect functionality. it's up to you if you want to fix it. you'll need a new updated bracket. get it from the dealer - take this part number to them:
Cruise Control Bracket:
P/N 36610-PAA-999, H/C 6130462

it's fairly easy to replace with a basic set of hand tools(sockets, ratchet, etc). it shouldn't cost more than $30(i did a search and found it for $28.71 just now on a random parts site)

good luck!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:10 AM
JAHokie46
Unregistered

Thanks so much HondaTech.

Could you possibly provide a link? I've googled for honda part sites and have trouble finding that part/product number and searching by model or VIN isn't returning anything for me either. Again, thanks!

EDIT: nevermind, after googling and search even more parts sites I found one that listed the part for $28.71. Thanks!