General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Accord EX Remote Transmitter Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Default 1998 Accord EX Remote Transmitter Stopped Working

I have two Remote Transmitters. One stopped working 2 years ago. The red light does not even work on that one. Now my last one stopped working. For the last 6 months it has worked on and off but now nothing. Usually the main problem was trunk not opening using remote but locks stopped working too now and then. Had battery tested and it was dead. Bought new one but still nothing. The red light on transmitter does come on though. I should mention that I live near the Gulf of Mexico and many times I have taken my keys/remote to the beach and salt spray is bad. Cannot see visible corrosion but still could be there. Are there other things to troubleshoot (fuse, reset etc..) or is it time to just buy another remote? Thanks in advance for any help. ps... I looked at other threads but could not find my problem.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM

foxylady,
You may need to install new batteries and reprogram before you order new ones. Here's the steps to reprogram.
KEYLESS ENTRY PROGRAMMING

Have all remotes for the vehicle on hand.
Make sure all the doors and rear hatch/trunk are closed during programming.
Only need to use 1 remote to get into program mode but all remotes must be programmed during the same session.
Each step must be completed within 5 seconds.
1. Sit in the car with all doors/trunk tightly closed
2. Turn the key to the ON position, marked by “II” on the ignition bezel so the dash lights come on, then within 5 seconds press the “Lock” button on the remote for 1 second or so and release the button.
3. Turn the key to the OFF position, marked by “I” on the ignition bezel – dash lights go off.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 three more times (A total of 4 times) – each step must be done within 5 seconds of the previous step.
5. Upon the 4th turning of the key to “ON”, press the lock button on one remote, the locks will make a cycling sound (clunk), locks will NOT lock or unlock at this point, they will just make a noise. The system is now in programming mode. Do not turn key off.
6. Within 5 seconds of entering programming mode and within 5 seconds of each other, press the lock button ON EACH remote you are programming, for a second or so and release. This step needs to be completed within 10 seconds. Each time a remote button is pushed, the locks should cycle. Up to 3 remotes can be programmed.
7. Turn ignition completely off and remove the key. Step out of car and close door. The remotes should be programmed and should work. If you have a trunk/hatch release, the button for this feature needs to be held for a few seconds before the trunk/hatch will “pop”.

Check Ebay for remotes. I just bought a used one for my 1999 EX and it worked better than the one I ran over. If you do buy one make sure you specify it's for a 1998 EX Accord. Apparently there is a difference between EX, DX, etc. Honda dealers want around $117 for a new one so look on the Internet for one. Get a real Honda though. RTV55

Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM

P.S. foxlady - You may have to do this several times before you get a handle on it. Especially if you're trying to read the directions and program at the same time. RTV55

Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Default Woo Hoooo!! Thank You!!

RTV55 You nailed it!! Yes it took 2 tries. I don't have a printer, so i made notes of all those steps and tried it. I brought my other remote out there also but it has a dead battery so I could not see if it could be programmed or not.

Do I switch the battery to the other remote and see if i can program it or is will that mess up the remote I just programmed?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

That will mess up the first remote. It's not the remote that you're programming. You are programming the CAR to recognize which remotes are authorized to unlock the doors. That erases any others that may have been in the car's memory before.

Just get a battery & do the entire procedure again.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Thanks Jim. I'm thinking the other remote is bad but maybe it just needs programming again also.