General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Accord Routine Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 PM
88-89-08-Accord
Unregistered
Default 1998 Accord Routine Maintenance

I have a 1998 Accord that still runs well but has tons of minor issues. It has 400,000 miles so I want to make sure that I start taking better care of her.

Any suggestions?

Here is what has been done over the car's lifetime
1) New front axle x 2
2) 5 spead transmission/clutch (axle was installed incorrectly and transmission fluid leaked out.
3) New master and slave cylinder
4) Spark plugs, regular oil changes, Cabin air filter (pain to do), engine air filters, etc...
5) about 100,000 miles ago water pump, timing belt and and all belts were changed.
6) radiator flushed and radiator fan changed
7) New battery x 2.
8) Valve cover gasket

What I had in mind
1) New struts/shocks
2) New engine mounts
3) water pump/timing belt?
4) Car leaks oil ? oil pan gasket? other gaskets?
5) alignment
6) New oversized brake rotors? Do you have any recommendations? I have never changed the rotors but I figure if I am going to I might as well get something that has more stopping power. The old rotors are shot.

Anything that you think an old car needs as part of the regular maintenance I would like to know.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

1) do the shocks bounce excessively? I'd only replace them if they have a problem. Not just for mileage.

2) Are the mounts bad? Same as #1...

3) YES. Every 100k miles.

4) Clean up the engine very thoroughly. Watch carefully & figure out where it's leaking from, before you go about replacing every gasket in sight.

5) I'd probably get alignment every 40k or 50k miles. Depends on how many potholes you drive on.

6) If you don't do any real racing, I'd just get stock rotors. Maybe better pads, like Hawk HPS or whatever. Probably if you just get new stock stuff the brakes will be much improved.

7) Start the engine cold in the dark. Watch the spark plug wires for sparks, or even a dull blue glow. That's a sign of break-down in the insulation.

8) New NGK spark plugs every ??? miles (check owner's manual).

9) Remove wheels & inspect all the ball joints for cracked boots, looseness, stuff like that. Also looseness in suspension bushings, like inboard end of control arms, sway bars, etc...

Old 07-07-2009, 02:20 AM
88-89-08-Accord
Unregistered
Default Thanks Jim

Thanks Jim

Yes I did a "bounce" test.

Appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

E

Old 07-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Forgot to mention...
Every 2 or 3 years, fresh antifreeze & fresh brake fluid. Lots of people forget about those.

When you do the waterpump, you almost do that same job. Don't just leave the remainder in & add a bit to fill. The anti-corrosion package gets used up & you can't tell that by measuring specific gravity.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air, & that makes it corrosive. Bleed the brakes every couple years to flush any bubbles & get FRESH fluid all thru the brake lines.