General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 accord trouble code issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Post 1998 accord trouble code issue

my check light engine has been on for about 2 weeks,just had it scanned and this touble code came up p1259,it states that it's a v-tech system malfunction. does anyone know the exact fix for this trouble code? i'm not to familar with the v-tech system. i would appreciate any input possible with this problem. i also recently, this past weekend replaced some manifold exhaust bolts that had broken and i removed the pipe with the oxygen sensor in it and along with the above mentioned code it also showed a p0131, i'm familar with the oxygen sensor,just wondering if all this is tied in together in some way.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

P1259 could be low oil pressure; how is your oil level?

The code only says what system isn't working 100%. There's still some troubleshooting to figure out what's actually broken.

The VTEC spool valve is between the valvecover & the intake manifold. The solenoid on top has a triangle flange. There's a 1-wire connector on that solenoid. Then there's a 2-wire connector to the side (VTEC oil-pressure switch). Any dirty/loose/corroded connections? Any broken wires?

Where that spool valve is bolted against the head, is a gasket with a mesh screen. If that's clogged up with crud it can trigger that error.

So there's a couple things for you to check out.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks for the info,it does give me a starting point. ironically, after i read your post this morning on my way to work, the check engine light went out and has been out all day after driving so i really didn't get a chance to do any corrective measures but i'm going to keep an eye on it and start a point 1 if it does come back on. one other question i would like to ask you about dealing with one of the issues you told me to check on concerning the check engine light,you said it could be low oil pressure,well i've been changing the oil and putting in the recommended amount of oil{4.5qts},but when i check the stick it reads that its short about a quart or so,the mark is slightly above the first dot.am i not putting in the correct amount,i'm afraid to overfill it,but i would like to have the proper amount inside. at first i thought maybe i had the wrong stick inside because i did buy the car and engine used but after comparing sticks from several different hondas,same model, i found out i have the correct stick. would you have any idea why the reading is incorrect? have you heard or seen this problem before?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

What's probably happenning is you manage to drain out more than many other people. There's probably almost another quart in there that hangs out in puddles and doesn't drain.

I normally rotate tires while my oil is draining, so jacking up each corner of the car gets more oil to drain out. I usually have to fill more like 5 quarts.

Bottom line: Trust the dipstick, don't worry about the number of quarts.