General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 EX intermittent start issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:11 PM
jmvar
Unregistered
Default 1998 EX intermittent start issue

Hi guys, I have a 1998 ex that has intermittent start issues.

It started about 1 month ago and has gradually gotten worse. When I go to start the car all dash lights come on as normal, I turn the key and I hear one click, then nothing. Lights stay on, everything electrical works but the engine will not even attempt to turn over.

I thought it may be the clutch engagement switch, however, when I try to start the car without the clutch engaged I don't hear the click. When I engage the clutch the click is there. I am guessing that is the relay for the starter that is clicks when I turn the key.

The issue is intermittent and only happens every other time I go to start the car. If I try to start it several times it will eventually start. When it does the engine starts right up.

Car has a new battery.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1998 EX intermittent start issue

That year is know for having a flaky ignition switch.

Mine does this just about every time I try to start it. Either switch on the clutch is not engages right and I have to put it to the floor and slowly bring it up about an inch before it'll crank or I have to twist the key several times to get the ignition switch to make contact.

Those are likely to be your main areas of trouble.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1998 EX intermittent start issue

Does the click come from the engine bay? If so, I would suspect a problem with the starter solenoid.

If you have an O'Reillys near where you live, they can test how much current the starter draws. Another test would be to have someone try to start the car and hold the key in the start position. Then you hit the starter with the end of a screwdriver. If the car starts up, then you can replace the starter solenoid.