General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Accord Intermittent No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Default 1998 Accord Intermittent No Start

I have a 1998 Accord that will occasionally not start. I at first thought that is was my fuel pump since I did not hear the whining when I turned the key on. When I went back to investigate as soon as I grabbed the wiring it started working (I left the key on). The next time that the car did it I looked at the fuel gauge and it was still working. So I went back and ensured that I had a good ground. After I cleaned up the ground and replaced the plug on the end of the wiring harness it seemed to work great for a while. Then last night it wouldn't start again. I left the key on and moved the wiring again, nothing, then out of the blue it started working. Is it possible that I have a bad fuel pump relay or ignition switch? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Still not conclusive for relay vs. ignition switch. But there's a couple curious things about the description...

When you turn the key ON, the fuel pump is only supposed to run for 2 seconds then shut off. If you took more than 2 seconds to get back there & grab the wires, I don't understand why the fuel pump would run?? Or did you then go back & try the key again?

Maybe that points to a bad ignition switch? Because the pump should run if you were to turn off the key & turn it back on. So the ignition switch "turned off & back on" by itself?

I wouldn't bank on that as a positive diagnosis. But maybe you can take off the plastic shroud around the steering column & have a look at the ignition switch. Anything look flaky, burned? How about loose sloppy operation? Then use a multi-meter to check continuity through the 3 circuits of the switch.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 AM

I will check the ignition switch tonight. When I would check the pump, I had my brother in the car turning the key on. I forgot to mention that. I apologize. I was leaning away from the switch since all of my dash lights come on and everything seems to work. But I will check it tonight. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

OK, that clears up my confusion about how the pump can run after more than 2 seconds.

NOW the simple fact that you can make the pump run by messing with the wire bundle... that points towards a problem with that particular wire or bundle of wires.
- Anywhere near a plug connection? Dirty/loose/corroded pins?
- Splice in the wire might be corroded?
- Tugging on the wire bundle moves the ground wire? Check that for loose/corroded connection where it's bolted to the sheetmetal.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 AM

I have checked that, but this time messing with the wires did nothing. The first time the car wouldn't start, I unbolted the ground and took a wire brush to the area to ensure a good clean connection. I then bolted everything back together and it has a good connection there. After that I took the cover off of the top of the fuel pump and noticed that the plastic cover was missing off of the wiring plug going to my fuel pump. I then went and found one in a junk yard and swapped it out with the old one (pin by pin, not via splicing). I then retraced the wiring back behind the rear seat, behind the rear interior panel, then under the rear seat and through the floor pan. All of the wiring looked to be in good condition with good connections.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

I gotta think that moving that bundle of wires means the problem is somehow influenced by flexing the wires.

I've seen bad electrical connection where the wire itself is crimped into the pin-terminal (corrosion).

One occasion just drove me nuts for days. A wire was actually broken by repeated flexing, INSIDE the plastic insulation, IN THE MIDDLE of the #$(*&# wire!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM

OK, I'll check them for continuity tonight and let you know tomorrow.