General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda Accord EX-V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 03:17 PM
beninRI
Unregistered
Default 1998 Honda Accord EX-V6

Hey All!!!! Was looking for some info online and stumbled upon this website....after a few seconds of scanning, I HAD to join!!!!! So hello to all!!!!!! I am 25 and live in Rhode Island. Here's my story:

I let some moron flush out my fuel injectors. As soon as I left the place, my check engine light came on. I went back immediately and said WTF?! He checked the error code and said it was the EGR Valve and that was normal because "the fuel system is so clean the computer doesn't recognize it." Now, I'm not a real mechanic but I am most certainly a "back yard mechanic" and when I heard that, I knew he was full of it! So, I bought a brand new OEM EGR Valve off EBay and put it in. Did the trick. Six months later it came on again. So I had the code read and it was saying "EGR Valve has insufficient lift". Well I'm not spending another 130 bucks (and that was a great price, dealer wanted around 300 just for the part!). Fast forward a little bit..........

Today, I went and got some new tires at a BJ's. They check everything for free when you get work done there. Guy comes out and heres the convo:

Guy: "Your check engine light is on."
Me: "Yea I know." I told hime the above story.
G: "Well there were two codes and the EGR Valve was one of them, the other was saying the Catalytic Converter was bad."
M: "Can you get me a price?"
G: "Yup hold on...........................................360 bucks." (I don't think that included labor either!!!)
M: "Yea. thanks anyways pal."

All this BS just to pass emissions!!!! I gotta move to a state with no Emissions Testing!!!! I found a Cat on EBay for 150 incl. shipping. Is it possible to take the Cat off and clean it out or anything? Does anyone know why a brand new EGR Valve would after 6 months have insufficient lift? Are they known to be junk? This is my 2nd Accord and I love them, plus I really need to drive this car into the ground. Thanks for any info/advice.....greatly appreciated!!!!!

Ben

Old 05-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1998 Honda Accord EX-V6

Honda extended the warranty on cat conv,, you might want to call them and see if yours is still under warranty ..

Old 05-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Hi Bennin..Thanks for joining up in our forums..
We all like to see and hear from all new members so post us more about yourself and your car.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-23-2006, 11:58 PM
andyhinman
Unregistered

I am having the same problem. I cannot get the check engine light to go off.